The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16.5hp yanmar diesel that I till, plow snow, mow etc ... with. I'm thinking about getting a small 20-25 hp compact tractor with a loader/backhoe. I am considering kobota and kiote. Are there others that any of you would recomend. How about dealers-anybody know a good one that dealsin both new and used?

·
Registered
448 Posts
John Deere...I have a JD 4115 hyrostat (2003) with front loader and 60' belly mower. It's a 24HP diesel. Very nice little machine, I use it year 'round. Bought it used from Maple Mountain Eqip.
The big advantage JD has over the Kubota's is the ease of adding or removing of attachments. I can put on my loader by myself in 2-3 min. and the mowing deck is just as easy & alot easier than my litte Crarftsman rider.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Kioti is a good machine. I bought a 40 HP 4WD with a cab a few months ago for use in my business. I have 40 plus hours on it so far with no problems. I looked at competitive Kubota, New Holland and Deere and the pricing is close on all of them. The hydraulics on the Kioti are more powerful when you compare the specs and the Kioti weighs more than the others. I liked the Kioti cab better than the others. Heat, Air AM/FM/CD standard.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I second the Kioti. I bought a 45 hp last summer and love it. I put 150 hours on it so far and have no problems. I have a DK series with FEL. They just came out with an economy line this fall. I went i looking for a 30hp, but for a bit more I got a much bigger machine. Glad I did it. Ive cleared alot of fields, mowing and food plot work, and lately snow moving.

You should at least consider Kioit when looking at compacts. I was told there are better deals on the 40+hp machines cause so many guys "think they need" a smaller machine. Many posts that compare tractors on this site. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-buying-pricing/

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I own a Deere 790, 1999 vintage. I maintain 10-15 acres of plots and miles of woodland trails with it. It also handles my driveway snow clearing activities. I've been very pleased with it. I think most of the tractors are very good. Buy from a dealer you trust and have good access to. That will probably make your tractor owning experience a pleasant one.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Kubota's are good. I have a B2400 4wd. with a front end loader. I wish I had a 3 point backhoe but I wouldn't use it enough for what they cost.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I have a JD 2520 with loader, rotary cutter, york rake and a post hole digger. I use the PHD for planting trees, so much easier than the shovel or hand post hole digger. I keep looking for a clean used tiller...
HomeInTheWoods nailed it, good advise.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I had a JD 4320 with loader and backhoe that was a great machine. Smooth operations and low maintenance. I replaced it in 2008 with a JD 110TLB to get more capacity and a smoother hoe. It converts in minutes to a 3pt hitch if needed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a TC55 New Holland with loader and backhoe and also a Kubota 900 RTV and new holland has Kubota's customer service bet hands down I don't know where you are from but Schefflers in Pitman is the best dealer for new holland and Allenwood equipment is the best for Kubota

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About the post hole digger; I have been looking to for a used one to buy for my Yanmar for planting trees and holes for pole barn. I read somewhere that, since my tractor does not put downward pressure on it's 3point hitch, the thing would not work very well.
Is this anyones experience?
Anybody know where I can find a suitable PHD used?
Thanks for the advice on the tractors and any you can give on the posthole digger. hdt

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a post hole digger which I use on my Kubota BX2200 (22 hp.) and it works fine without down pressure, in fact, I need to be careful that it does not "screw itself" into the ground.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Barney. What size auger do you turn and what's the size of the digger?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The auger size is 9" diameter x 24" depth. The post hole digger is a Woods PHD25. I believe it will take up to a 12" auger as 6", 9" & 12" augers are available for it. My BX2200 is a subcompact & has small rear tires,otherwise I believe it could handle longer augers. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not many tractors out there with hydraulic down pressure on the 3 pt hitch. Augers do just fine with gravity and a helper on the diggers handle. Auger length would be a key with a subcompact.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If you want a tractor with down pressure on the 3 point hitch look for a international utility model like a 300 or 350 ,several international tractor that have the cylinder exposed have down pressure ,i have one and it works great when using a blade or a post hole digger ,,and even with disc ,,
Its too bad that the newer and so-called " improved "tractors offer LESS capability then older tractors ,but this is common in todays world with many products

·
Registered
326 Posts
Some of the old ones were handy. I could see it being a help with the rear blade. I run mine with extra weight on the frame all the time. My dream blade would have it all. Down pressure, power angle, full swivel and power tilt all from the seat! Probably be cheaper to buy a dozer though.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
You don't need down pressure on the auger. And you do need to be real careful, low rpm's and frequent raising of the assembly. I caught onto a large stone and buried mine. Had to leave auger in the ground. got it out the next spring, it had a pretty good bend to it. heading up to mntn house in am lots of snow to move

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.