The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have a fair budget, and want a compact tractor, brush hog, snow plow, disc, spreader and cultipacker.

What do you buy?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Pick a color and find the best deal. The best deal I found a few years ago when I was in the market for a tractor was Kubota. I got a L2800 hst and have been very happy with it. Perfect size and power for all of the needs you listed.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I like the John Deere over the Kubota.
One main reason..... try the "forward and reverse" on each.
You'll like the JD better.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Hmmm... I have owned three Kubotas over the last 30 years.. each one was a little bigger.. so my first advice is get at least 25 HP, better with 30 or just go ahead and go first class with a Grand L 40 HP. They ain't much more expensive than the smaller utility machines. As a benchmark, my Son just bought a new one this summer for about $20K with a loader.

I like hydrastatic. Much easier to operate and control speed.

Some of the better (more expensive) models have more creature comforts, eg. better seats, cruise control, tilt and telescopic steering, easy connect hitch arms, ratchet adjustment on three point arms, etc..

I like 4 cylinder diesels. They are smoother and quieter.

Turf tires seem like a good idea for the yard, but get the industrial tires. Good all around and are less likely to roll with a load in the bucket. Ag tires are too aggressive for most applications.

Kubota? Deere? New Holland?? Pretty much all the same. Japanese diesels. All of them are good tractors in my opinion.. I'm not ready to buy one of the other "off brands" yet... I'm worried about parts availability down the road, and some of them I have looked at just seemed a little behind the power curve.

Just an opinion.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
231 Posts
For two years I used a 30 Hp. Kubota B7800 4wd hydrastatic drive tractor to pull a 12" - 2 bottom plow and a 5 1/2' heavy duty disc harrow to prep my food plots. I also used it with an 8' drop spreader, a 2 row planter, and a 4' roller in those same plots. I use a Woods 5' brushhog with this tractor and a 6' Landpride finish mower. The tractor has a front end loader and Ag tires (R1). This tractor handles those implements but traction can be an issue with the 2 bottom plow in sod. The front end loader is an excellent option and it's like having a "strong friend". This year I bought a Kubota GL4240 - a 42 Hp 4wd which also weighs about twice as much as the B7800 and I have to say it is much better suited to the plowing and discing than the B7800. It is not as maneuverable as the smaller tractor with a mower, especially in the woods. It also costs about 1 1/2 times as much as the smaller machine. I plant about 3 acres of food plots on 78 acres.I mow about ten acres two or three times a year. You can get a lot of good info about tractors on http://www.Tractorbynet.com.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bought a brand new New Holland T1520 tractor, 4x4, 35hp diesel, with a 540 pto. I purchased a T110 front loader, a 5ft. brush hog, a 6ft. rake, and a 6ft. rotary tiller, along with the tractor. This is the Economy Line of New Holland's Boomer Tractors. This tractor runs like a beast!! I have done so much around my 150 acre property. I got 0% financing for 5 years, and the total price for tractor and all those attachments was around $16,500. I thought it was a great deal. Check into it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We bought a New Holland 2420 diesel 65 hp 4wd with loader and 6 foot bush hog at our camp. Spent 15 years trying to do too much with a small Allis Chalmers CA. Right now with the weather the way it has been we haven't got much done due to the rain. We have a machine to fit our needs and are evaluating what new attachment we will buy for next year. It's nice to have the horsepower for a change to do a job right and getting the loader was the right thing to do. We also put ag tires on it and the rear ones are loaded. There are some good used deals out there depending on what you want. I would buy new which is what we did because we had the funds for it. We just need the time now to get up there to do the jobs that need done! I want to finish a turnip patch this weekend.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, this is for club use, not my personal use. I'm just trying to look at whats out there and help budget.

Anyone have the attachments for the equipment? How do they seem to hold up?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Attachments hold up well when they are built for the tractor or use. I have a 6ft Red Devil snow blower, Woods 6ft bush hog, Post hole digger and 6.5' box blade from Tractor Supply, 7' john deere disc from the 50's. Everything is working just great. You do not need the top of the line attachments for every process. The cheap ones from teh box stores work well for light duty work. Just don't buy a 70hp tractor and use a mower designed for 40hp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with angus on the implements, i.e., buy those sized for your tractor. From your original list, I have a King Kutter 5 1/2' Heavy duty (square tubing frame)disc harrow and have had no problems with it and have used it on the 30 Hp and the 42 Hp tractors. I have a Woods 5' brush hog and have used it without problems on the 30 Hp. machine. I have other implements, but they don't match your list.

·
Registered
125 Posts
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING LESS THAN A 45-50 HP WITH A LOADER EMPHASIS ON THE LOADER VERY VERY VERY HANDY I LIKE THE NEW HOLLAND TC45 AS FOR THE IMPLEMENETS TRY TO STRAY FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY AND GO WITH A LOCAL FELLA I SEE YOU ARE IN 2A 2B I BUY ALL MY STUFF FROM TURNER TRACTOR IN EVANSCITY RAY THE OWNER IS GREAT AND VERY VERY FAIR,,, HE ALWAYS TREATS ME GREAT,,JUST DONT CHEAP OUT ON A TRACTOR

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK

We have it narrowed down to specs. Now, we just need reviews from all of you!

Looking for:

Minimum of 40 HP
Gear transmission
Ag tires

Recommendations?

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
A diesel cuts down on all kinds of problems and I don't hink anyone even makes a gas engine tractor anymore. I bought a 35 yr old Ford 4000 5 years ago. Not a compact, but 50 hp and runs great, will handle Cat 1 or Cat 2 attachments. Problem with some compacts is that there isn't enough weight or traction to make the loader useful. A friend of mine tries to plow her driveway open with a small Kubota and even snow in the bucket makes it front heavy and the rear tires tip up.

4 wdr is handy, calcite filed tires can add weight and traction. Used compacts hold their value. Where as a used medium or utility farm tractor can be had fairly cheap.

Get a copy of the Lancaster Farmer (weekly newspaper) and look through it. Literally hundreds of classifieds for tractors, new and used. Go on Ag net or one of the other used farm tractor net sites.

I don't know what you intend it for. Do you need a cab?

Is it just for fair weather? Then no cab. If it will be necessary to keep a road open in inclement winter weather, a heated cab is almost a necessity.

Most farm tractor loaders aren't any good for digging, but can scoop up loose gravel, manure, and loose dirt.

I'd avoid off brands, orphans etc. There are some folks who are fans of them, but needing a part is a real problem is the closest dealer is two states away and the part has to be flown in from some eastern bloc country. There's alot of odd ball foreign tractors on the Market, made in Korea, China, India and even Russia. I've only heard good things about one Italian brand of air cooled diesel, but parts are a several week wait, if and when. John Deere, Kubota, New Holland/Ford, Massey Ferguson, Case/IH are the main brands to stick with, in about that order. It is just as much a ford vs chevy thing with tractors as in other things. And most compact tractors have foreign engines anyway. How close is the nearest dealer, if you need parts or service.

Most of my equipment is New Holland/Ford, I can get parts at several local dealers. In fact the New Holland dealer has scheduled parts deliveries in my area, twice a week. I just have to call and they deliver for a very reasonable extra charge. There are John Deere and Kubota Dealers scattered pretty much everywhere. If you needed parts for a Same, you might be stuck with mail order or driving a few hundred miles.

There are a few used tractor models that have been extremely popular and had strong followings. That means there is a demand and therefore a supply of parts and knowhow out there. For instance, there was a model of Ford in the late 1940's, the 8n. It was so popular, that there are probably 500,000 of them still out there running and for which parts can still be purchased. And there were some real oddballs, even from the name brand companies which were only made for a year or two and are hard to find parts for.

You didn't say whether you are looking new or used.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We're definately looking at a name brand.

Primary uses are going to be to haul logs for firewood; mow foodplots, finish mowing, and some brush hog stuff, planting food plots and plowing snow off of the road.

So, yes, it will be used year round.

The guys are all looking at new compacts, but I am open to used farm equipment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We kept the 6 ft. disk that we got with our Allis Chalmers about 15 years ago. Works good, but may upgrade in a few years. We probaly will buy a 50-60 gallon 3 pt. sprayer with 12-20 ft. booms for next year. Using a four wheeler with a sprayer on it is way too much running to mix batches, and my nephew is not happy with us hoggin the use of his machine. I would probaly say we will buy the sprayer first, then invest in a good hopper spreader also. The disk upgrade will probably come last. A 6 or 8 foot cultipacker would also be a good purchase for us.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Just bought a brand new Kioti DK 45 HST w/FEL and after looing at all the brands available this tractor stood out. It has SO many features standard that the big guys want you to buy as add ons! I now have 50 hrs and am amazed at what the 45hp can do! Similar jd or kubota was 4-5k more when you added on all the extras that came standard on the Kioti. 0% or free loader is unbeatable. With low intrest rates I too the Free loader and got a fixed loan for 3.59%! Kinda doubl dippin, but it will save even more money.

No real issues with these tractors ( korean made) and parent company is Bobcat...very reliable machines. Several great PA dealers as well.
check this prior to buying!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attac...compairison.doc

more info

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-buying-pricing/

Used (compact) tractors are not a good buy right now! ASK SEVERAL DEALERS of the same brand to price it out for you as all brands will vary between dealers about 10-20%! Also many dealers can price a 40hp+ lower than 30hp due to the HUGE demand for small compacts. My 45 hp was cheaper than a similar 40 and hundreds more than the 35!

Any questions I will help with,pm

HST is the way to go, also look at machine weight.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
you will get killed in the used compact market!

Machines that are 3-4 years old with 1000 hours are maybe 2-3k less than new. EVERYONE (manufactures) is having great deals on new stuff due to the economy! Free loaders, 0%, cash back....and lower sticker price. On the other hand old big machines and non compacts are on the cheap used.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts