The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a decent scope for a ruger m77 compact in .243 the rifle will be used for deer in wooded spots so long range is not necessary. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, I dont want to spend a fortune but def. would like to get my
Money's worth

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I just bought a redfield revolution 2-7 for on my marlin 35 remington and love it. In my eyes its on par with the leupold vx2 i have for roughly half the price, i think theyre the same scope just different names. They are made in the same plant. For a 243 you may want a 3-9 instead of a 2-7 so you can make some long shots in the future if the area you hunt ever changes or you go someplace else, either way you cznt go wrong with either power range.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Don't get a compact. They look better, but you are better off with a full size scope, especially considering the few ounces of weight you save.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I would never lighten up on optics to save an ounce or 2 myself. I mainly use 4.5 x14's and have had them cranked up many times looking for that 3rd. point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not so much worried about the wieght, the rifle has a 16.5 inc barrel I don't want the scope to cover half the barrel haha I may just go with a fullsize

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Get yourself a standard ole vari-X-1 for $199.00 and never look back..their lightweight and not physically that big compared to some other variables and you'll never need another for the rest of your days..

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
6-DASHER said:
Get yourself a standard ole vari-X-1 for $199.00 and never look back..their lightweight and not physically that big compared to some other variables and you'll never need another for the rest of your days..
Great advice from 6-Dasher. If your budget is higher you could also look at the Leupold Ultralight's, they would be a bit more compact. Personally I find it hard not to buy Leupold. They have quality scopes with in a large range of models, powers, and price ranges.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
TedC54 said:
Don't get a compact. They look better, but you are better off with a full size scope, especially considering the few ounces of weight you save.
Why? I have a few Leupold Compact/Ultralight models and have never noticed any disadvatage with these models compared to other models in the the same power range.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I don't have any idea why you wouldn't buy a compact either. I've had a Leupy compact in 3-9x33mm for years and have had great luck with it. Plus the OP said he wants a compact so why not???
Honestly though a straight VX 1 or 2 in 2-7x33 sounds like it would be all that is needed for the described use.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Those Leupy compacts are made for handy dandy rifles like that. I once saw a Kimber Montana 7-08 with a 4.5-14x50 long range mounted on top. I thought to myself, why?

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
RobOz said:
Those Leupy compacts are made for handy dandy rifles like that. I once saw a Kimber Montana 7-08 with a 4.5-14x50 long range mounted on top. I thought to myself, why?
I saw very nearly the same thing. On my griz hunt, there was a hunter in base camp who had been dall sheep hunting. His rifle was a Kimber Montana in .308 and it was topped with a 6.5-20x50mm scope. Looked ridiculous to me. But hey, it was his rifle not mine. I just can't see cutting weight on the rifle and then topping it with a stovepipe for a scope. He got a really nice ram with it though.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
kudu58 said:
RobOz said:
I saw very nearly the same thing. On my griz hunt, there was a hunter in base camp who had been dall sheep hunting. His rifle was a Kimber Montana in .308 and it was topped with a 6.5-20x50mm scope. Looked ridiculous to me. But hey, it was his rifle not mine. I just can't see cutting weight on the rifle and then topping it with a stovepipe for a scope. He got a really nice ram with it though.
Personally I like scopes with higher magnification, but I totally agree that the scope has to fit the rifle. On a standard sized rifle a Leupold 4.5-14X40 would look fine, but seems to big to mount on a compact rifle like the OP's Ruger (Rem. 7, Kimber Montana, ect.) Just like the compact model would look out of place on Weatherby MK-V Deluxe. I wish Leupold was able to engineer a scope that had a magnification range of 3-18 (like the VX-6) or 4-20, but dimesionally along the lines of a standard 3-9 (12" long, 1" tube, 40mm abj.).

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I had a Leupold compact on a Remington Model 7. I didn't like it because I felt it did not give me the field of view I got in my other scopes and also found that the range of effective eye relief was smaller than on my other scopes.

It looked better, but was not quite as functional for me. I sold the scope. I have a Bushnell Elite 3 x 9 on it now. I personally like it better and feel the extra ounces are worth it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Vortex Diamondback series. Compared side by side to Redfield: MUCH brighter, clearer, better FOV. I have 2 older Leupolds (3-9 and 2-7 Compact) and better than either. Midway USA has 2x-7 for $180-190, 3x-9 for 190-200. I have the 2x7 on a muzzleloader. They aklso have a less expensive Crossfire II product line that is about $30-50 cheaper.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
A couple years ago I bought a few Bushnell 3-10x40 3200s at a little out of the way shop, the price was too good to pass up!

They've since been replaced with the E3104 ($250-$300) but pretty much the same specs, 14.5oz, 11.7 OAL with a 5.4" mounting length, RainGaurd, LT warranty, etc, etc.

Bushnell Elite 3-10x40mm E3104

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
TedC54 said:
I had a Leupold compact on a Remington Model 7. I didn't like it because I felt it did not give me the field of view I got in my other scopes
Look up the specs on the 3-9x33 compact and the 3-9x40 VX2. The fields of view are identical. The only legit difference, other than the size, would be the larger oblective lensed scope would be able to gather more light at higher powers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's the length of most compact and the length of most regular 3-9x40? I want a short scope that looks good on the small rifle

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
My 3-9x33 Leupy compact is exactly 11 inches long. My VX2 3-9x40 is 12.3 inches long. The compact scopes undoubtedly match the compact rifles more than a full sized scope.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I read the vx-1 2-7x33 is 10.8 inches long looks like that's what I'll be getting, burris fullfield II 2-7x35 is 11.4 inches long but much cheaper I've found them as low as $118 online vs vx-1 no less than $180

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Im sure the Burris is a nice scope, as are alot of the other brands. But; IMHO its hard to beat a Leupold. I would not think twice about spending the extra $62.00 for the Leupold. You can find all of the models and specs on their web site.

http://www.leupold.com/

Good luck, Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts