The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe there is any difference in the two? I was at a QDMA event in NY a while back and heard a guy ask someone from QDMA that question. The response was there is a difference between them. I listened to them talk about lignin content in different types of seed. Was kinda explained that most co op seed if of the variety meant for livestock and if you thought about it a cow eats almost non stop and everything it can. A deer on the other hand would perfer something more palatable with less lignin. It was mentioned that the commercial clover contained less lignin and that deer could fill up and the digest it faster bringing them back to the source quicker to feed more. I'm on the fence with this. They might of had a point, I'm not sure. I know my clover came from Northeast Whitetail Seed Company in NY and right now it looks great. Still green and looking good. It is mixed with their chicory and grazing paradise and really didn't take off till after the spraying and the mowing then it grew very thick aqnd full. T?he deer are in it alot and it is finally showing some wear but still has alot left to offer. I have heard the stories about deer not eating brassicas for a year or 2 till they know what they are. I didn't have this issue. It was this plots first year and my lord did they hammer them. Started about 2nd week of Nov and has had steady pressure since then. It is about grazed off now which is prertty amazing. Its about a half acre plot the forage was knee high maybe a little more in places and its gone now. They have pulled the radishes out and ate those also. This plot also had triticale and winter rye in it and they mowed that down also. Everything was from a somewhat commercial seed company. So I guess I'm asking do you think it matters where seed comes from? Do you have any proof/experince with your opinion?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I used to buy the fancy seed with the big buck on the bag but rarely do anymore. Even if there is some small difference in how it grows it's not worth the price difference. I get everything I can local or order from Welters in Iowa or Ernst here in PA.

With the cost of fuel and fertilizer what it is I see no reason to spend extra on seed when the deer could care less where it came from.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I agree with Bake. I like to get seed from the local agway or Southern States. It's a lot cheaper and grows just fine. I will also be getting seed through pheasant forever and quail forever as well. They have some nice mixes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I for one can tell you, 95% of all clover seeds Come from the same states. 95% of the clover seed is grown in Wash,Org and Montana. What most of the Food Plot seed Co. are doing. they are spraying the seed with special stuff. That makes it grow better. Thats why if you look at the seed its different colors. Thats from what they are spraying on it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm with Pheasants on this one. I had known most of the seed was sourced from the same area. Did not know where tho. I also was told by several different sources that the seed was not the big difference. It was the innoculants and coatings used by the shiny expensive bag guys is superior to the ag store stuff.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Your payingfor that fancy bag with the buck picture. Im in the landscsaping business due a lot of yard installs via of hydroseeding. My evryday turf fescue i use is very quality blend. I buy in bulk min. order 500.00 but it comes in plain jane 50lb berlap no thru bag for $1.10 per pound. Lowes has something real close in pretty 10 and 20 lb bags for 3 times the price.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off I have never bought a bag of seed with a buck on the bag. What I am trying to get at is do you thing there is a difference in the actual plant produced by the seed. The lignin and protien content of the plant. Is there really no different strains of clover? So basically there is only one kind of jumbo landino, red, alsike and white clover? I just figured there has to be more than one strain/kind of whatever type of plant you are planting. Its just what I heard from someone. That some seed is tailored towards livestock and was seed that had high lignin content so that it would grow higher and create more forage, not necessarily better forage just more. And that some marketed towards deer were infact a more palatable higher protien producing seed. I used Northeast Whitetail Seed Company and had great results. I was gonna put in a order from welters but being that this was a educational project for our QDMA branch they donated it. I have no preferance just was wondering about the actual nutritional benifits of other seeds.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
You can order from Welter the same varieties in the buck bags. I believe there are a difference in varieties, but no difference in where you buy your selected varieties from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts