The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get pulled out of mud/snow by a local logger this past weekend. He suggested getting a portable come-along winch to keep in my truck. The logger said he used Maasdam brand for pulling trees etc and they make some good ones.

Any suggestions, experiences etc??

·
Registered
829 Posts
can't honestly give you an opinion on one but working one can be dangerous, learning proper use should be a must if you do purchase one

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know it would be more expensive but what about a hitch mounted winch? can take it off when not needed.
That's a thought!! I do have a 2" receiver. Do they make ones that are ready to go(complete assembly) or do you need a winch mounting base plate etc??

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have a winch that fits on your trailer hitch ball, never used, I will sell it to you cheap just to get the box off the shelf.

Reactions: Loggy

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a winch that fits on your trailer hitch ball, never used, I will sell it to you cheap just to get the box off the shelf.
Thanks John! If I decide to go that way will drop you a PM.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hitch mounted winch's are ok.....when you can or need to pull your vehicle out backwards. But when you get stuck.....sometimes backwards is not the way to go. And sometimes forward is not the way to go. I have a woods cart, all electric and with a limited slip in the rear. Sometimes you just get stuck!! I also have a winch on the front, and on the back. Both are Warn 12-V and both do a great job.

Usually, when you get stuck, you need "a little help" as the vehicle will still run and dig into wherever your at. Warn makes a 24-V 1,000-lb pull cordless model.
Not cheap.....but when you get stuck......you just want out!!!

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Steeltrap!! I like the versatility of that one!! You're right about that "just wanting out"!! I experienced that first hand on Saturday!! My Mrs told me not to go to camp with all that snow up there....never hearing the end of that!! lol

I'm closely looking at the Maasdam 2-Ton #144SB Pow'R-Pull Cable puller(below). With an xtra recovery strap it would give me the option of various angle pulls vs just frt & back.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I work with rigging all the time
and to be quite honest most cable come alongs are pieces of crap and a PITA to use.
there are one or two somewhat decent ones out there but they are as big or bigger then chain come alongs and almost as expensive
unfortunately to get into chain come along territory will cost you ,and the longer chain you get the more expensive
and you'll need 15' of chain minimum to be effective

bumper winches are best suited and believe it or not, can be cheaper then a quality chain come along with 20" of chain.
warn is the best , but there are several other good brands out there
though I would be Leary of hitch type mounts because the winch pull rating exceeds nearly all hitch mount pull ratings.
if I was mounting a winch on a vehicle i'd go with a winch plate bumper mount

no matter what type of puller you buy you will also need other types of rigging.
straps and shackles.

I haven't hung a winch off my jeep yet.
firstly nothing has stuck me yet that I needed to be winched out
and because I do have a decent recovery kit I haven't needed yet.
I carry a 1.5T Harrington chain come along with 20' of chain ,2-8' straps 1-20' strap and 4-3/4" shackles
I also carry a 30' 7/8" kinetic energy bubba strap that I use if i'm pulling another vehicle

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
I feel like in my 60 years I must have come-a-longed a couple miles of wire rope and chain. I used them several times a week underground to pull belt to splice, move rock, or to get my ride unstuck. In the 70s, we used them to get mine cars back on track after a wreck.

My son and I pulled my truck over 100 yards when I buried it cutting firewood. We took turns on the bar while the other powered the truck.

We used 5 ton Lug Alls at work.....they had 50 feet of 3/8 rope, and when double hooked, you could pull a loaded 3/4 ton truck out of about anywhere. A vendor gave me a new one when I retired, along with a 7/8 “ bar that’s 30 inches long. You can get a bunch of leverage with it....it’ll pull my 2500 Chevy out of anything. It is really helpful if you have someone giving the truck a little throttle while the other guy cranks. It’s been about a year since I’ve been stuck, so I’m overdo.

In addition to the come-a-long and bar, I carry a couple of 20 foot 5/16 “ chains, a shiv wheel, and a couple of long rigging straps. I also have 4 tire chains under the backseat of the truck. I’ve only had to chain up about every other year.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
Had one of these for years. Used it for stuck vehicles, moving boulders, boat docks, falling trees. They work great.
That looks very similar to my 5 ton Lug All. Although I know the provided handle is meant to bend at a given weight, as a safety measure, I always pitched them and replaced with a solid iron rod.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yes, had to do the same with mine.

Reactions: Loggy

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the info Steeltrap!! I like the versatility of that one!! You're right about that "just wanting out"!! I experienced that first hand on Saturday!! My Mrs told me not to go to camp with all that snow up there....never hearing the end of that!! lol

I'm closely looking at the Maasdam 2-Ton #144SB Pow'R-Pull Cable puller(below). With an xtra recovery strap it would give me the option of various angle pulls vs just frt & back.

I'm looking closely at this pic and frankly, I don't like what I see. That "steel" looks pressed from a sheer and when your cranking it manually, if you get in a situation where it twist, I think that "thin" steel is going to twist and then your left with another mess to get out of.

If your going to go with a manual come-a-long, get one that is made of cast metals....if they make 'em.

MHO

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Per my logger's input he said the USA made Maasdam pullers are HD not imported junk.

A lil more: USA Made • 1 piece, aluminum alloy ratchet wheel
• High strength, electro-plated steel parts
• “Notch-at-a-time” letdown
• Drop forged steel slip hooks
• Non-slip plastic grip
• OSHA recommended safety latches
• Uses galvanized, aircraft-quality cable

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
That come a long in the pic above would be better than no come a long, but I wouldn’t want to rely on it when it really matters. Think of the purchase that may save you hours and miles of walking, not to mention the aggravation of being stuck.

We only used the best of tools in the mine, and I still demand that type of quality now I’m retired. Other than the electric winch for the skinning machine in the the garage, there isn’t a sniff of Harbor Freight type stuff at my place.

·
Premium Member
23,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok what come along do you suggest??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts