The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a colt new frontier .22cal revolver that I recently purchased. My father also has a new frontier and his came with a .22mag cylinder. My question is, can I use his mag cylinder in my new frontier? Why or why not? I would never attemp this for the sole purpose of safety unless I am 100% positive that it is acceptable.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm not certain there is a difference in the metallurgy of the two frames, one for just 22 LR and one for the 22 Mag.(I doubt it) HOWEVER...You would be extremely lucky if the Mag cylinder properly fit your frame as is as it wasn't fit to your frame at the factory. Even if it did fit into your frame there may well be issues with timing as well as overall "slop" which could make the thing a bit dangerous. Me...I wouldn't do it without a "good" gunsmith looking things over as far a dimensions and fit. And once he did, I doubt he'd give you the go ahead because of the measurements and fit. JMHO

Muab Dib

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Generally speaking, cylinders have to be timed to the gun frame they are installed in. If not, the hole in the cylinder doesn't match up with the bore which could be bothersom or it could be dangerous depending how far off time it is.

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
IRRC, there were two versions of that pistol: One all steel; One with alloy frame? Regardless, the only ones I've seen with matched 22 mag cylinders, were all steel.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Not a good idea to swap cylinders, just asking for trouble. If you had an orphan or extra cylinder you can have it fitted to your gun, but don't just switch between revolvers, thats a no-no !

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
Agreed. If either comes from the factory fitted and ready to go, or someone that's qualified needs to handle it?

I may have been thinking about the Colt Frontier Scout in my previous post, not the New Frontier, btw?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guy's for all the valuable info. I will not try the mag cylinder. If I want a mag I will just purchase a new frontier with the mag cylinder that comes with that particular gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts