The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My father and I drew Bull elk tags for the 2022, 1st rifle season. My father is 64 and he has never been west of St. Louis, so I could not be more excited to take him on this trip. We will be going DIY and staying on the Mtn. I have been to this unit before with a friend that hunted it for many years who has since passed away.

We generally rent horses to pack our camp and gear in but when I called the rancher I got a dial tone. So I called his cell phone and found out the terrible news that his ranch was sold and the new owners were no longer renting horses. This now meant my 64 year old father would be hiking the Mtn, with a pack on his back. I began to call all over looking for horses and couldn't find anyone. I then searched for llamas, and emailed and called about rental. After a week of no response I called again and the owner answered. He has 20 some llamas and was in the process of going through emails and voicemails by time stamp to set up rental on a first come first serve basis. This put me in yet another panic. My first message to him was 2 days after tags were issued. I did secured 2 llamas for the trip (what a relief). My dad is fully capable of hiking the Mtn, but I was unsure how he would do with a heavy pack on his back, and for that part I would have a lot of training to do to get in elk packing shape.

We Leave October 12th, and begin to hunt on October 15 for 5 days. I couldn't be more excited to take this trip. My wife has been more than understanding. I will leave 3 days after my 2nd child turns 2, and our 5 year anniversary is the day I leave. (I was not the best planner of these events I guess). I couldn't thank my wife enough. I know she struggles a bit with me going, only because it will be a lot for her. 2 kids under 4 years old while working a full time job is not the easiest thing to juggle.

The boy and I slept out in the tent last weekend. And i modified a rack to run over my tonneau cover for coolers or whatever gear may need to be strapped on.
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Building

Attachments

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Good luck to your dad and you. Sounds like a great trip and probably a great move getting the llama's especially packing a bull out. Keep us posted on the trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My father and I drew Bull elk tags for the 2022, 1st rifle season. My father is 64 and he has never been west of St. Louis, so I could not be more excited to take him on this trip. We will be going DIY and staying on the Mtn. I have been to this unit before with a friend that hunted it for many years who has since passed away.

We generally rent horses to pack our camp and gear in but when I called the rancher I got a dial tone. So I called his cell phone and found out the terrible news that his ranch was sold and the new owners were no longer renting horses. This now meant my 64 year old father would be hiking the Mtn, with a pack on his back. I began to call all over looking for horses and couldn't find anyone. I then searched for llamas, and emailed and called about rental. After a week of no response I called again and the owner answered. He has 20 some llamas and was in the process of going through emails and voicemails by time stamp to set up rental on a first come first serve basis. This put me in yet another panic. My first message to him was 2 days after tags were issued. I did secured 2 llamas for the trip (what a relief). My dad is fully capable of hiking the Mtn, but I was unsure how he would do with a heavy pack on his back, and for that part I would have a lot of training to do to get in elk packing shape.

We Leave October 12th, and begin to hunt on October 15 for 5 days. I couldn't be more excited to take this trip. My wife has been more than understanding. I will leave 3 days after my 2nd child turns 2, and our 5 year anniversary is the day I leave. (I was not the best planner of these events I guess). I couldn't thank my wife enough. I know she struggles a bit with me going, only because it will be a lot for her. 2 kids under 4 years old while working a full time job is not the easiest thing to juggle.

The boy and I slept out in the tent last weekend. And i modified a rack to run over my tonneau cover for coolers or whatever gear may need to be strapped on.
View attachment 196245
Sounds like a great trip. Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Good luck. Just returned from CO on a DIY OTC archery hunt. If you are anywhere close to where I was maybe I can give you some scouting info. PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It definitely isnt easy to leave for a extended period of time with little ones in the house! I went through it for many years only hunting locally. Which I completely agreed upon with my wife. Now that they are 13, 12, and 9 I get to go back to the normal going on 1 or 2 week excursions with no push back from my wife. It makes it even easier since my son who is 12 hunts with me when I go on those trips to camp or out west.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts