The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on a Colorado semi guided hunt second rifle. Looking for a guide that's gonna set ya up with all the sleeping equipment (Tent shower fire...) cook, quartering and packing out game, and general guidance of where to hunt.

Post any suggestions you may have

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Ive hunted with Sable Mountain Outfitters out of Meeker. Their hunts are in the Flat Top Wilderness Area.

Can be some tough hunting, but it can also be some very good hunting.

Id recommend giving Ann Marie a call and see what she has to offer you.

http://sablemountainoutfitters.com/

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Second Ann Marie from oh about 8 different guys that used her at work, one couple has used her just about since her and her deceased husband started it. Look up sable mountain outfitters on you tube, there is a two part video by a guy.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Gene was a good man, we hunted with him the season before his accident. She has carried on with the business and is doing well with it. They kill a lot of public land bulls.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
171farm said:
Looking for suggestions on a Colorado semi guided hunt second rifle. Looking for a guide that's gonna set ya up with all the sleeping equipment (Tent shower fire...) cook, quartering and packing out game, and general guidance of where to hunt.

Post any suggestions you may have
Just don't expect a shower on a tent hunt! Even a bag shower would be a step up for most backcountry hunts. Were you looking for this year or next? Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next season. I have read a few different hunts that say warm bag showers. Could go wih out but if there is a plus.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll look into Sable mountain

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Winterhawk Outfitters does drop camps in the Flat Tops Wilderness also. Good area for a shot at a decent bull. Don't expect too many monsters as it's an over the counter license area.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Another good outfitter we found was Highlands Unlimited down in Durango. They do drop camp hunts exclusively, so they're not taking guided trips into their best areas and giving you what's left over as some places do. I think they have about 6 camps set up, just need to take your sleeping bags and food (but the do not have a shower and don't let that be a deal breaker for anyone as you can use baby wipes very effectively). They will give you maps of where there are bedding areas, wallows, spots they've killed in the past on a map as well as GPS coordinates for all of these. They have some trail cameras set up as well. 4 of us went, 3 killed bulls. You shoot it and quarter it, they come and get it and take it to town to be processed for you. PM me if you want more information.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumping this up again. Cant believe there isnt much in the way of advice. Anything is helpful.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts