The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started thinking about college after reading a few references to higher education in another post. The common theme was that higher education is focused on a liberal attitude and to succeed a student, by in large, has to conform. From my own experiance I would have to agree with that. I did not graduate with a BA until I was 32. Spent a while in the USMC getting a real eduction before earning a degree at a well known Wash DC univeristy in 1982. I guess I was fortunate in that I had some exposure to reality before being exposed to the liberalism I found so very evident and pervasive at the school I attended. But it was almost tragic to see the kids coming out of HS actually eating up and seriously beliving the libeal tripe that was tought by the professors. I would submit that this type of education dynamic is akin to a form of child abuse. The young minds are forced to beleive in a liberal philosophy not only becaue it is required to make a good grade but the process is fuelled by professors that they look up to as role models. I also did some work toward a masters in education some years ago but quickly found that my refusal to fit in with the professors' model of a student and my constant pushing back on the other students relative to teaching philosophy (they were all teachers) put me at a disadvantage that made it evident that my conservative views would not be tollerated in the clan of the educators. So, this not so much of a rant as it is an observation that I wanted to just throw out there. Somehow there must be a ballance in how our kids and young adults are educatted in terms of what is available for them to choose from in not only job prepairation but in life's political spectrum as well. But I don't see that taking place and with the liberal agenda beoming more popular I don't see an equal representation happening.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
jimsdad said:
I started thinking about college after reading a few references to higher education in another post. The common theme was that higher education is focused on a liberal attitude and to succeed a student, by in large, has to conform. From my own experiance I would have to agree with that. I did not graduate with a BA until I was 32. Spent a while in the USMC getting a real eduction before earning a degree at a well known Wash DC univeristy in 1982. I guess I was fortunate in that I had some exposure to reality before being exposed to the liberalism I found so very evident and pervasive at the school I attended. But it was almost tragic to see the kids coming out of HS actually eating up and seriously beliving the libeal tripe that was tought by the professors. I would submit that this type of education dynamic is akin to a form of child abuse. The young minds are forced to beleive in a liberal philosophy not only becaue it is required to make a good grade but the process is fuelled by professors that they look up to as role models. I also did some work toward a masters in education some years ago but quickly found that my refusal to fit in with the professors' model of a student and my constant pushing back on the other students relative to teaching philosophy (they were all teachers) put me at a disadvantage that made it evident that my conservative views would not be tollerated in the clan of the educators. So, this not so much of a rant as it is an observation that I wanted to just throw out there. Somehow there must be a ballance in how our kids and young adults are educatted in terms of what is available for them to choose from in not only job prepairation but in life's political spectrum as well. But I don't see that taking place and with the liberal agenda beoming more popular I don't see an equal representation happening.
Hmmmmm. Let me ponder this for a while as I am not sure which way to go with it.

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
Maybe its because you were not told that you were "special" enough during your formative years?

I have been asked to fill a teachers position at a local college accredited school here locally, it is a CNC programing and CAM class.
But after meeting and listening to the students I don't think its possible to teach them much of any thing that they don't all ready know.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
jimsdad said:
I also did some work toward a masters in education some years ago but quickly found that my refusal to fit in with the professors' model of a student and my constant pushing back on the other students relative to teaching philosophy (they were all teachers) put me at a disadvantage that made it evident that my conservative views would not be tollerated in the clan of the educators.
This is precisely why I dropped my education minor. I was 20 years old at the time, though. I feel everything you said. I went to a liberal arts college and some of the professors made sure my grade reflected my refusal to agree with them and their belief systems. It also probably didn't help when I told my philosophy professor it was a BS discipline and he only did it to blow off having to live in the real world.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I spent the latter part of my working career in a tech service job for Penn State. In those 25 years I crossed paths with a lot of professors, some good, most not so good. The common denominator in most case was, the good ones all had spent some time working in the real world. Those that had spent their whole life in academia, didn't have a clue.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Jimsdad--Apparently you never had me for a course!!!LOL. The liberal arts philosophy rears it's ugly head about every 20 years, when we go through a recession and many students who graduate with professional degrees (cja, teacher ed, nursing, etc) go through a period of slower than normal job markets. You got to understand, to the person with a liberal arts degree, they feel they can do anything. My usual response is to the liberal arts enthusiasts is that historically, a graduate with a liberal arts degree usually changes careers 7 times in their lifetime, usually because they are not skilled nor are they educated enough to hold down a job.

As far as college professors go, remember that only those in the education field, elementary ed, secondary ed, physical ed, art ed, etc. are the only ones teaching at the college level with a teaching certification behind them. All the rest are teaching the way they were taught by those who didn't go through teacher ed either.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had heard it a bit different. They that can do, they that can't teach. Either way. OR -- When do it thay can not, teach they do........ Now they got me doing it to!!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My experience out of college is that nobody forced me to believe anything. Some professors had alternative view points and expressed them. I didn't have to believe them if I didn't find logic in them. I found it no different than any of the folks here on HPA or any of the folks I grew up around.

Of course, I studied biology for both my BS and MS and was taught to question everything.

What I have found is that many liberals and conservatives alike spout off a lot of BS and try to push their agendas on me. I just smile and nod my head giving them enough rope to hang themselves in all of their double talk trying to sound smart.

God gave me 2 ears to listen with and 1 mouth with which to speak. At the center of them all, I have a brain. Its my choice to use it or lose it. Many youngsters and adults alike unfortunately fail to realize this whether they are going to college or the real world.

I leaned how to effectively write in college. I learned how to analyze thoughts and the process to tell whether the thoughts were valid or not.

College is what you make of it no matter where you go. If you shop up expecting to be educated you will indeed be susceptible to all of the conservative or liberal rhetoric. If you educate yourself through college, then you learn to see through the BS. Too many people are taking the first option, both liberal and conservative alike.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i know what one college is good for. taking a big chunk of my dough for the next few years. as i told the benefactor of my largess, "kid, you're my IRA and 401K rolled up in one, get my moneys worth"

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Can't argue with that! I've got 1 that's in her first year at Kent State, and another just finishing up medical school at Duquesne. My wallet is hurting!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts