The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting either warm water, warm chicken broth or a scoop or peanut butter on the dogs food this winter to help them get a lil warmth and help keep weight on I was just wondering what else I can put on there food to switch it up a little bit or something that may work better.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Keep doing it that way, and split the feeding. I feed twice a day when it is below 25 in the daytime.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how many cups you feeding?? I switched over to the Diamond high energy from PMI

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I feed the Hi-energy Diamond and the dogs all pretty much get different amounts. The hard running beagles are getting 1 soaked cup in the morning and 2 dry in the evening. Not running hard/outside 1 soaked morning 1 dry in evening. Dogs in the house are getting one cup a day with a little love on top. ;)When it stays over 30 the morning feeding is cut and they get milkbones every morning. The coon hounds get 2 soaked in the morning and 3 dry in the evening.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We always feed twice a day and have never had a weight problem.

Warm water, homemade broth, boiled meat scraps (deer, rabbit trimmimgs) added in the winter.

We are currently feeding Sportsman's Pride (26/18) with some Diamond Performance (30/20) mixed in.
Never go over 2 cups a day with this mixture.
Dogs look really good.

John L

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I make my own bird suet so I buy the 4 pound pail of lard at China Mart. I give the two dogs about 1 tablespoon three times a week. I melt it and pour it over their food. One is a German Shorthair that I found running in the woods. She was down to just skin and bone at Christmas time. You cannot see any bone in her body now. It really made her coat shine also.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys I hadnt been splitting the feeding so I'm gonna start doing that, both dogs look really good just didnt know if there was anything else I could be doing

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts