The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9 degrees and fresh snow when we hit the woods this morning. My youngest son and I took my pup to the spot where we got her first rabbit on 12/31/16. She had 2 runs which never circled. She either lost them or they holed. But the third one she ran for 1 1/2 hrs. Should have ended earlier but my son, who is using a 410 double, missed it on the first two circles. On the third circle he connected. This is now the second bunny off her. She will be 6 months on the 13th so I am pretty happy the way she is doing. Almost slept in, though, when I saw how cold it was.

· Registered
410 Posts
Don't you realize that her poor nose gets cold when you hunt her at that temperature.
Sometimes they do hole up, but other times they just loose the track in all the other tracks.
I had a dog about 38 years ago that I yelled at when she wouldn't come back after I shot the rabbit, only to find out that she was chasing two rabbits at the same time!
Sugar was one heck of a dog!
I can remember many time when Sugar would start sneezing when she got too much frost up in her nose when she was tracking rabbits when it was bitter cold outside.

· Registered
12,230 Posts
Nice pup! Looks like she is going to be a long leg hound. Great start and it only gets better. Seems like the cold turns the hounds on. My beagles love this weather. Hope that frost on your face don't leave scars. Waugh!

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should have brushed all that snow off your face before taking the picture. Can't even tell what you look like.

Dick Bodenhorn
Dick,
That is on purpose because there are too many WCO's and retired WCO's on here. If I posted my picture you would probably recognize me.:D Actually that is my youngest son in the picture who shot the bunny. He's 34 so that means I am getting old. I didn't ask his permission to post his pic, so that is the reason for the white out.

· Registered
6,725 Posts
Good job. I've got another Wirehair pup coming in the summer but I definitely see me adding a beagle to the household in a few years. Just looks like a lot of fun running those little hounds and hearin' their music. It definitely was very cold out, with more of a wind it'd been downright bitter. I had 17 degrees when the dog & I finally left the house just before 9, drove almost 2hrs North to hunt in 12 degree weather, lol! But I wanted to get at least 1 more visit to a particular SGL I really like. I go for the scenery as much as I do the game. I only saw 1 other hunter and his dog and he was leaving as we were heading out. I guess most guys were on their computers complaining about not seeing game, lol.

· Super Moderator
8,368 Posts
Dick,
That is on purpose because there are too many WCO's and retired WCO's on here. If I posted my picture you would probably recognize me.:D Actually that is my youngest son in the picture who shot the bunny. He's 34 so that means I am getting old. I didn't ask his permission to post his pic, so that is the reason for the white out.

I knew it was to conceal the identity of the hunter and have no problem with doing so. But that still isn't going to stop us from jerking your chain about it.

Good deal on the new dog and hunt though.

Dick Bodenhorn

· Registered
573 Posts
Good chase ! Anytime it gets into single digits everything slows down. There musta been some moisture in the snow. I've had good and bad days in single digit temps. Usually the rabbits go to holes when it's that cold. That's gonna be a nice hound right there. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.