The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I just can't find anything to keep my feet warm on stand. I have tried different socks, heated insoles, different boots and so on. One would think after almost 50 years of hunting I might figure it out! What does anybody else wear?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Someone started a post on this subject recently... From what I read, many people recommended some type of Arctic boot covers and used a hand warmer inside of the boot cover. I think I will try this- they don't look very expensive either. Supposedly Better than even the electric socks etc.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I think one of the bigger things for me is good socks...merino wool, moisture wicking. Sometimes I'll use some gold bond powder on my feet before putting on socks. My feet sweat a lot so keeping dry is half the battle for me. Those disposable toe warmers seem to do the trick on really cold days

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
This is what my kids and I do:

My son and I have the predator extreme pac boots from Cabelas. When it gets real cold like 20 degrees and below we put a hand or toe warmer in the bootie and we do not get cold feet When its warmer like 20 degrees and above no hand warmers just the boots and a fresh dry cotton sock.

My daughter will wear the boot blankets with just a heavy sock and hand warmers in them. Its like an oven in there when she puts 5 pairs of them in them.

When my son and I go into our spots we just wear the boot shell and tie the insulated booties to our packs then change the wet socks for a dry one. My daughter will wear just leather boots to walk in the take them off and go the boot blanket route.

Want to experiment try this, get a pan of the warmest water you can stand and put your bare feet in it sitting in your house, then you will get to feeling warm and may even start to sweat. When your feet are warm you are warm and the longer you sit and don't move the better your chances are.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I bought muck artic boots. The short version. 3 sizes 2 big. I can easily slip hand warmers in the top down to the top of my toes. So i rotate 4 warmers. Play with 2 in muff then swap with boots. Repeat. I also do the scent free antiperspirant on my feet. And a wicking wool sock.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The best thing I did recently is I started to wear regular cotton socks to the stand. Once I got to the stand I would remove those socks, put them in my pack and replace them with heavy 90% wool socks and my feet typically stay warm. That said, it is a pain in the butt once at the stand, but I would rather have warm feet. As far as boots, I have tried many over the years, anything from rubber boots to 2,400 gram boots and nothing did the trick, until I started switching out my socks. Now this year, I broke my foot and had to find something to put over my broken foot boot and I bought a pair of icebreaker boot blankets. Let me tell you, those things are amazing and others have said above. You throw a hand warmer in there and it is like an oven .

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
My neighboring camp claims that Sealskinz socks are the best thing they ever tried. They have some Sr hunters in camp. I thought they were a little pricey and have not tried them yet.

·
Registered
16,556 Posts
one mistake a lot of people make is buying boots that fit tight. your feet need a little room to move and breathe. your body generates heat, that heat needs someplace to stay and keep your feet warm. if your boots are to tight, the heat actually creates more moisture than it normally would. that moisture translates into heat loss which makes you colder.

thats why they also recommend dressing in layers and going slow to your stand so you do not over heat and sweat. if you do sweat, you get colder, faster.

·
Super Moderator
12,514 Posts
For walking or stalking I wear a series of lighter boots. However, for cold weather all day or night setting I am currently using the following:

Socks Cabelas 16" wool/thermolite/nylon they are heavy and they wick moisture. Colder days I slip on a pair of the ankle tennis shoe cotton socks first. Really cold I place a hand or boot warmer in between the two sock. Another tip from my youth I use small plastic bags over my socks which allow my feet to slip on without all that rolling around on the floor and pulling to get them on as I have witness others doing.

Boots:

Rocky 1200G high top rubber boots
Lacrosse Arctic Pack Extreme
Rocky 1200G leather boots
Danner 1200G leather boots
Micky Mouse Boots Inflatable....but haven't wore them in years...too big to fit in my climber safely and the others have kept me warm.

I also dry my used boots nightly with a Field & Steam Maxx dry SD. It helps to start with a dry boot and clean shocks each trip.

·
Registered
16,556 Posts
i use a skull cap and then add a very warm over the head face mask. i also use one of those body belts that holds the BIG hand warmers. i put that around my waist over the kidneys, then pull my bib coveralls up over it, then add a hoodie and my jacket...toasty all day long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It seems I just can't find anything to keep my feet warm on stand. I have tried different socks, heated insoles, different boots and so on. One would think after almost 50 years of hunting I might figure it out! What does anybody else wear?
I've worn the LaCrosse green knee boots since I was a teenager, both hunting and working as a surveyor. I guess 15 years ago they began making the same boot with 800g insulation so I bought a pair. Tougher than any neoprene boot made, period, and if you get a size larger, you can make up the space with extra socks after you get to your stand. They come on & off real easy with a nylon liner so it's no trouble to change socks. I just put the damp ones in a quart ziplock bag & in my coat it goes. A pair of cotton socks, then woolies over that, in the 800g boots have never let me down even in PA.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm surprised to hear so many saying that they wear cotton socks. IMO that's one of the worst things you can do. Moisture and cotton do not mix. My feet sweat probably more than most, but I haven't worn cotton socks in years even for casual use.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm surprised to hear so many saying that they wear cotton socks. IMO that's one of the worst things you can do. Moisture and cotton do not mix. My feet sweat probably more than most, but I haven't worn cotton socks in years even for casual use.
100% agree. Cotton is the enemy of staying warm. smart wool liner socks and then a medium to heavy wool sock on top. Sometimes I use the stick on toe warmers. Eventually my toes will get cold but that is from inactivity not really anything else. But if you do anything avoid cotton and make sure you check the labels. Many socks labeled wool will have some percentage of cotton, avoid anything with cotton.

As with Marcus I avoid cotton with all of my socks wet sweaty socks suck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts