The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Barnett Recruit that's had to have the limbs replaced twice since it was bought. Both times the problem happened after prolonged periods hunting in weather on the colder side and storing the crossbow in the trunk of the car while camping or staying in a cabin. Can prolonged overnight exposure to cold weather make the limbs more vulnerable? I'm setting up for this late season down here in the special regs and wondering what I can do to prevent this from happening again? It's a real drag when it happens...

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I have a 9 year old Parker xbow. I hunt thru mid January in Montg. and Bucks. Cold has never cracked my limbs, even the few times when it was -5 or -10 below. My bow is stored in the bed of truck or in unheated garage. More than likely its the manufacturer, sad to say

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Cold weather shouldn't affect the limbs at all especially at temps that are common in WPA. Guys hunt northern Canada all the time without issue. The only temperature extreme that I have heard of that you need to watch is heat. This would come from leaving it in a vehicle in the middle of the summer type heat.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is super helpful, guys. I do think it's just defective manufacturing then. I'll hunt with it in the cold then and not worry about it. Crossing fingers it holds up!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
My buddy had a horton x bow and while using it in the late season he brought it inside and a few hours later we heard a cracking noise that turn out to be the limbs breaking. Maybe he should of decocked the bow first. At the time Horton had a lifetime warranty but after about 6 weeks the bow was in the shop, Horton went out of business and he never did get his bow fixed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, you have to discharge the arrow after a few hours. This problem always showed up right at the end of a longer sit. They say 4 hours is the threshold but maybe it's actually sooner for this xbow. Wondering how often others discharge theirs?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
4 hours? Barnett says to do this? I have left my Parker cocked for days at a time if I am actively hunting . I discharge it when I wont be hunting for a while, like this 2 week break now.
There are some guys that leave their bows cocked all season if they don't shoot a deer.
I would seriously not put any more money into that bow. Save it for a different one. Bow shop should be able to tell you which ones they repair the most. I have had very good luck with Parker, excellent customer service

·
Registered
561 Posts
4 hours? ... I would seriously not put any more money into that bow. Save it for a different one.
Seriously. When I go out it is never less than 4 hours. Sure seems silly having to sit in the stand, discharge and recock every 4 hours. I have never heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's in the instructions to discharge it that often or the warranty will be voided. It never occurred to me all crossbows weren't like that? I just followed the manual. It's extremely inconvenient and counterproductive in the field, of course. I haven't put any money into it. Barnett's replaced the limbs twice now for free. It's just inconvenient and steals time that could be spent hunting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I never had any problem with my old Horton crossbow (bought a tenpoint this season). I put many late season hunts under my belt where I sat all day and never had a limb crack. I normally leave my crossbow uncocked and locked in the bed of my pickup all season. I agree, if this happens again, lick your wounds and go with another manufacturer. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
Mine are never discharged till I am done hunting. That may be 3 hours or 11 hours. I have sat with crossbows cocked all day for 2 weeks straight.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Barnett does say to only leave their xbows cocked for 4 hours. I have owned several and have friends that own several and none of us decock after 4 hours, unless we are done hunting. I have accidentally left my razr ice cocked for 3 days, forgot that it was still cocked until I went into basement and saw it. For some reason you are either getting junk limbs or something else is off on the crossbow causing the limbs to break(which would be my guess) Barnett's don't have a great reputation for reliability but typically their limbs are as good as anyone else's. Where the Barnett's tend to suck is with strings, the factory ones just don't last very long and if you don't inspect them eventually they will break causing injury to you or your xbow.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barnett does say to only leave their xbows cocked for 4 hours. I have owned several and have friends that own several and none of us decock after 4 hours, unless we are done hunting. I have accidentally left my razr ice cocked for 3 days, forgot that it was still cocked until I went into basement and saw it. For some reason you are either getting junk limbs or something else is off on the crossbow causing the limbs to break(which would be my guess) Barnett's don't have a great reputation for reliability but typically their limbs are as good as anyone else's. Where the Barnett's tend to suck is with strings, the factory ones just don't last very long and if you don't inspect them eventually they will break causing injury to you or your xbow.
This one is holding so far. I think maybe the problem was my ex husband not cocking it correctly because I haven't had any trouble since I'm the only one using it. Hopefully it continues to function well next season. I am going to have it inspected by the seller sometime just to be on the safe side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts