The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever fooled around with these calls or a similar high end Cody slate?
I traded a good friend of mine a Garmin dog tracking GPS that I haven't used in years. I told him I'd take his Cody World Class as a trade. He refused to give me his World Class, but instead stopped by Cody calls and ordered me a Spec I Legend.
The only slates I've ever owned were a MAD super aluminator and and Ol' Yeller by Knight and Hale. Both cheapo pot calls.

This legend is $225! I don't think I paid $225 for my trusty 870. Should be here in two weeks. Can't wait to play around with it.
I usually just take a couple mouth calls with me, but I might have to dedicate a pocket for this thing. LOL

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Not me I would never consider spending that much on a call, when a 15.00 call will do the same. Funny you mention the MAD Aluminator, I bought one 23-25 years ago, and it has Approx 145-150 gobblers to its credit. Several years ago I found them online for 6.00 and bought 3 more. At times I'm shock what ppl spend on calls and decoys, but it is their money.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Ive never ran that particular Cody call but I do have a few Cody’s and really like them. Im sure you will like it. Just put it on a lanyard so you dont lose it. Lol. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Bill builds some great running, great sounding calls.

Whether high end calls are worth the money is all in the eye of the beholder. I could throw together a tube call today, like the one I killed my first bird with and have 5 cents or less in it and go kill gobblers. Some guys have an appreciation for carrying a $2000 Neil Cost original...…….a work of art and a piece of history...…….to kill their birds.

To each his own.

You'll like your new Cody !!!

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
I still use my Lohman Thunderdome slate call I bought 25 years ago. Killed lots of turkeys with it. Called in Ole Sneaky with it numerous times but never killed him, as far as I know he’s still out there roaming the mountain side

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Killed lots of turkeys over the years with Cody calls.
World Class slate, Woodsman green slate and glass.. once was one of rhe best out there. Now not so much.
Today there are so many great call makers out there today that I believe put out a better product for much less money.
Pa is blessed with a bunch of really good call makers.
Zearing used to say it was the Cadillac of turkey calls. Maybe it still is but there are some Mercedes, Maserati and Bentley's out there for less money.
With that said probably killed just as many with a 4$ mouth call.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
You'll love your Cody Spec I. I had no idea Bill gets that kind of money for them though and I'm involved with a lot of high end custom call makers. I bought a World Class call from Bill back in the early nineties the first time I heard him run it for $25. If you're a serious turkey hunter (which I know you are), there's just that certain sound that makes you snap your head around when you hear it.

That being said, there are a pile of custom call makers that make calls that sound as good or better from $60-$100. Like was mentioned, if you're selective, some of the cheap production calls like the Aluminator and the Thunderdome were some really good calls.

The one good thing about most of the high end call is you can get your money out of it if you want to sell it. I have an idea you'll keep it though.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't spend that kind of money if it was cash out of my pocket.

I had something to trade that was of little value to me, but had value to my friend. He told me before he would part with his World Class if I wanted to buy it from him.
From those ideas, we struck a deal.

They are pretty plain Jane looking calls compared to what else is out there on the high end market, but I've always heard the sound is classic and legendary.
Lord knows I've spent more than that on mouth calls over the years, and they usually end up in the trash after a few seasons when the latex wears out.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I’ve never used a Cody call. Pot calls sound awesome but are always a pain in the butt for me when hunting. They never sound as good in the woods as they do In the house or the truck. I can understand wanting to own one though. I’ve always wanted a high end box call.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
I wouldn't spend that kind of money if it was cash out of my pocket.

I had something to trade that was of little value to me, but had value to my friend. He told me before he would part with his World Class if I wanted to buy it from him.
From those ideas, we struck a deal.

They are pretty plain Jane looking calls compared to what else is out there on the high end market, but I've always heard the sound is classic and legendary.
Lord knows I've spent more than that on mouth calls over the years, and they usually end up in the trash after a few seasons when the latex wears out.
Yeah I would be looking forward to it too! Good luck with it. I hope it's one the old longbeards like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts