The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First year using a Crossbow, I have a Ravin R9.
I hunt out of a ladder stand and my question is do you experienced Crossbow guys cock your bow before or after
getting into your stand?
The Ravin has a pretty simple cocking system along with a good DFI system.
Even with the DFI and and no bolt cocked on the crossbow I'm a little Leary about hoisting the Cbow up in the tree cocked.
So just wondering what you guys do?
Thanks ahead.:plain:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I will not cock my crossbow until I am in my stand just like I will not load my rifle until I am in my stand. convenience does not trump safety and after all it is your life.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
It would be difficult, if not impossible to cock some crossbows in some climbing tree stands. My Mission Dagger limbs will fit ( barely) inside the Viper seat section. My old crossbow, a Horton, would not fit. That said, holding the crossbow with your foot while cocking it 20 feet up a tree while in a climbing stand isn’t something I look forward to.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
It would be difficult, if not impossible to cock some crossbows in some climbing tree stands. My Mission Dagger limbs will fit ( barely) inside the Viper seat section. My old crossbow, a Horton, would not fit. That said, holding the crossbow with your foot while cocking it 20 feet up a tree while in a climbing stand isn’t something I look forward to.
I agree. I cock mine at the truck, carry it in and hoist it cocked. I have cocked mine in my Viper climber. Very awkward and not fun.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I cock my crossbow immediately upon walking away from my truck. If I walked up on a deer on the way to my stand, it would not be the first time that happened and I want to be able to take a shot if I choose. If it's in the AM and thus dark, I still cock it then so I have as little commotion as possible when I'm at my stand. When I climb my ladder, I have the bolt removed and in the quiver. After I climb into my stand, I raise the crossbow with a rope and the business end of the bow pointed downward. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I cock my crossbow immediately upon walking away from my truck. If I walked up on a deer on the way to my stand, it would not be the first time that happened and I want to be able to take a shot if I choose. If it's in the AM and thus dark, I still cock it then so I have as little commotion as possible when I'm at my stand. When I climb my ladder, I have the bolt removed and in the quiver. After I climb into my stand, I raise the crossbow with a rope and the business end of the bow pointed downward. Best of luck to you.
I should have added. I do not load a bolt on the rail until I'm settled in, have my pack tied off and am fully situated and comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Some crossbows have a winding device that would make cocking in a tree easier. A couple years ago I liver hit a buck and had it bed down 40 yards from the tree I was in. That was the only time I ever had to reload on a hunt with the X bow.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I just got a TenPoint Nitro and the cocking device on it is very easy and very quiet. Cocking it up in the stand will be no issue at all.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In general I cock the bow at the truck before I walk in. Mine is a reverse draw with a sled. No ADF. For a ladder stand I will pull it up with rope. The ladder stands are permanent so the ground is cleared of brush. With a climber I put it in the third hand bow holder and take it with me. A little weight on the top section of the climber doesn't hurt. What I don't like is putting the cocked crossbow on the ground and hoisting it up swinging through branches/vines/tangles in the dark, especially as I often wind around a tree. The pack gets pulled up a rope, but not the crossbow if I can help it. Getting down, sometimes I will drop it down with the rope if I'm sure it's clear. I did that tonight, and it was an absolute mess. In the dark, the middle of the rope got tangled somehow between the crossbow and the bag. It went down about 10 feet and then wouldn't drop anymore. Had to pull it up and down twice before I got cleared, more than a couple minutes. A mess like that is exactly why I don't like using a rope for a cocked crossbow. I was only 20 ft up on a very nice tree and I was kicking myself for not just dropping the bag alone with the rope and climbing down with crossbow in the holder.

I can cock mine on stand, either ladder or climber. It is tight but can be done. The problem is possibly dropping the sled, making sure everything is routed right in the dim light, and if it is light enough, I may well see a deer on the way up in a climber. I shot one while climbing last year. I'll climb slow and look around, if I see one, pull the stabilizer straps tight, get a bolt out, and get ready.

Saturday morning I shot a fawn from a ladder and watched it crash after 40-50 yards (12 yard heart shot). I figured I may as well try for another, carefully cocked it without hardly moving, looked right, and saw one coming back to see what spooked them. Got the arrow out, and when it passed behind a tree I was able to load it. Shot that one through the heart at 9yds, same 50 yards in another direction. That was enough for me since it so warm yet, and I pulled up the rope to drop the bow down. One thing I will not do, and I know people that do, is climb a ladder with one hand holding the bow or rifle. Even just a two section like that one.

I couple years back in January I had a shot deflected by brush as it was getting dark. I was about 30 feet up and the deer scattered but didn't go far, so I went to recock...I had a couple deer watching me from about 40-60 yards, and I couldn't figure what was wrong with the thing. It seemed really hard to cock! I had to let it down once and get little more stretched out. I got it done and killed one a couple minutes later that was milling about at 30 yards. The next time I shot the crossbow I realized I hadn't doubled the rope over the back. It was a hard pull because it was 175lbs, 30 ft, with 6 sets of eyes on me! So that's another issue with recocking in a stand - it doesn't feel the same as on the ground, not the same muscle memory, and weird stuff can happen.

What I really wish about my crossbow is that I could decock it, instead of having to shoot it off. I don't see how it could possibly be done, but if I could I would decock in the stand before getting down after dark, every time.

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
I'm going to cock my bow at ground level and pull it up.My stand is small and I feel cocking in the stand raises the risk of losing footing in the stand and falling.Sure I have a safety harness but I don't want to test out in the dark.If you cock your bow with a rope you will have 1 foot on the stirrup and the stirrup on the stand for metal to metal contact.When you pull you will be basically counting on one foot to support yourself and a little dew on the metal and it would be like standing on ice.No thanks.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
What I really wish about my crossbow is that I could decock it, instead of having to shoot it off. I don't see how it could possibly be done, but if I could I would decock in the stand before getting down after dark, every time.
You ought to look at the Mission Sub-1. That's a big plus on that x-bow.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've heard a little about that one, but not really its features. I'm not much of an archery guy I guess. I hate the idea of spending money each year on upgrades. This one has worked, and while heavy, is nice and compact. It is only 300 fps so basically inside 35 I feel fine. Maybe if it comes time for cable replacement and they want too much, but until then I still have another string in reserve and the press to put it on.

Decocking would be nice though. I think a buddy of mine has an excal and can decock, but that thing is huge! I don't know if it could be decocked in a climber or not, would it fit down inside the sit bar? lol

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
Decocking would be nice though. I think a buddy of mine has an excal and can decock, but that thing is huge! I don't know if it could be decocked in a climber or not, would it fit down inside the sit bar? lol

The newer Excals are much more compact and can be decocked in most stands.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I cock my Parker when I leave the truck. I had the misfortune several years ago to have my cocked but not loaded xbow "roll " off the tree hook when I was hanging my pack on a hook. The bow fell 15' on rocks and the safety did not discharge the bow. I was surprised. cracked the limbs and could not hunt that day. Parker replaced both limbs free even when I told them what happened. I feel confidant in the dry fire mechanism. Not to say I am cautious about it tho

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Ravin has a good DFI system, on some crossbows they can have a partial dry fire when the nocked bolt is not
completely nocked and can still fire. With the Ravin if the bolt is not truly nocked the bow won't fire.
one of the features I really like about it.
It cocks easy with the crank and can also be decocked with the crank. The compact profile of the bow would easily be cocked up in the ladder stand, but for now being new to me I'll be cocking and decocking at the Truck.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Cock mine before heading into the woods. Put a bolt in while walking to the stand, remove it before climbing up. Raise bow and put bolt back in. Just today i shot my doe while walking in about 25yds from my stand tree. Never wouldve got it cocked and loaded and still make the shot without her noticing me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My brother's crossbow has a crank. Accucrank? something like that. It is a wicked ridge, and he needed a crank due to bad shoulder. It is not what I would call quiet, unless you move the anti reverse to kind of a neutral position in between. Doesn't seem real safe but the salesman pointed it out. I guess it is only 5lb of force through the reduction system so it would be hard to let the handle fly by accident.

I decocked mine in the stand today...right through some more tender meat at 20 yards. Have to love this September season! And spitfires!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts