The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved into a house in Pine Grove, PA where the primary source of heat is a coal stove, havent had to order coal yet as the bin was half full but I will in another few weeks, what can I expect for the price of nut coal per ton? Any recommendations for a supplier in the area?

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
The 215 price was certainly anthracite. Bituminous coals in western pa can be bought for house coal for 75. Usually run of mine coal (unsized) is cheaper than nut or lump coal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey there ghost. I live up on the mountain outside of pine grove and I deliver coal in the area. I charge 180 per ton and I deliver for 30 dollars per ton. pm me if interested. thanks

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Soft coal is around 100 bucks a ton, depending what you get.....

Anthracite is around 215 a ton..........

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didnt realize anyone burned bituminous coal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
it wont burn in the type of stoves we have here in the anthracite region. it will stick together and clinker too much

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Ghost said:
I didnt realize anyone burned bituminous coal.
Apparently you haven't spent much time in the Central, or Western part of the state............

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Ha, the price for anthracite startled me at first.
But it's been a long,long time since I saw it.
Had the job when as a teen of taking care of a three apartment house, and carrying buckets of coal from the coal bin to the coal hopper, connected to a furnace.
Ha, that was my weight lifting gym.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Pacoalminer, what kind of coal stove or furnace do you have out there? didnt know they knew what kind of coal was being put in them. i used to work in the coal mines too here in western Pa. we mined bituminious coal and used it in our furnace. got it right from the mine i worked at. usually used nut or egg coal for the home. sure was a lot cheaper back then. about 30 years ago.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Not to hi-jack this, just a story I remember. You can maybe guess the year. My Great Aunt was complaining about the price of coal. She said it went from $5.00 a ton to $7.00 a ton.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Pa. Slim said:
Pacoalminer, what kind of coal stove or furnace do you have out there? didnt know they knew what kind of coal was being put in them. i used to work in the coal mines too here in western Pa. we mined bituminious coal and used it in our furnace. got it right from the mine i worked at. usually used nut or egg coal for the home. sure was a lot cheaper back then. about 30 years ago.
Most people in the eastern part of the state (and some people around here) burn stokers, stoves, forced air, and boilers......which burn anthractie coal, usually rice or buckwheat, which are small broken pieces of coal.........rice is about the size of a dime give or take.........anthracite can also be burned in hand fired stoves, but you use bigger sizes such as nut or stove coal.......anthracite burns much cleaner than bituminous, it makes less fly ash, and more solid ash, there is no sulfur in it, it doesn't smoke, and is relatively dust free.....

The majority of people around here burn bituminous in old cast boilers, or something similar to that.....

FWIW they do make bituminous stokers, but they need relatively high quality bituminous coal to operate correctly.......the bituminous around here isn't really good enough to use in a stoker

·
Registered
185 Posts
The company store here sold Moore cook and parlor stoves.
The coal beneath the town was either upper Kittanning or Lower Freeport - depending upon which vein it was extracted from., The coal had some of the best tests of all the coal in Pennsylvania. The coal mined in Rossiter PA was used exclusively in the New York and Central Railroad Locomotives. I never heard anyone exclaim that Bituminous coal was no good for home heating.
The coal mined here 60 years ago was metallurgical grade - was used to make coke, which was used to make steel!

Anthracite coal is a specialty grade coal, only produced on the eastern side of Pennsylvania, which commands a higher price because it is scarce. Simple laws of supply and demand.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Trail said:
The company store here sold Moore cook and parlor stoves.
The coal beneath the town was either upper Kittanning or Lower Freeport - depending upon which vein it was extracted from., The coal had some of the best tests of all the coal in Pennsylvania. The coal mined in Rossiter PA was used exclusively in the New York and Central Railroad Locomotives. I never heard anyone exclaim that Bituminous coal was no good for home heating.
The coal mined here 60 years ago was metallurgical grade - was used to make coke, which was used to make steel!

Anthracite coal is a specialty grade coal, only produced on the eastern side of Pennsylvania, which commands a higher price because it is scarce. Simple laws of supply and demand.
That is the kind of coal that you would need to burn in a bituminous stoker, the stuff they use to make coke........the highest quality bituminous

the stuff around here has high sulfur content, it is good for heating but that is about it........most of it goes to power plants, and when they shut the Shawville plant down the coal companies aren't gonna hang around much I bet......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts