The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, anyone every use a C02 bike pump to unload their gun? I saw several kits made specifically for muzzleloaders for 35$ or so. They look like normal bike pumps to me. Is there a diffence? The bike pumps are half that price. I have inherited a few muzzleoders and one has a ball in it. I used a ball puller to no avail. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
As long as you can get it to blow air through the touch hole.
Just keep the gun pointed in a safe direction when doing it.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
First, unless you know what, or even if, that ball is sitting on a powder charge and what the strength of the charge is, do NOT attempt to shoot it out. That ball could be on top of an excessive powder charge. Safety first. Second, Don't go cheap on that co2 thing. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Air compresser works with a rubber tip.
Also a grease zert in the touch hole.Pump the load right out then clean it up.

·
Registered
746 Posts
have a discharger, it works, i have found that if you have an old charge you really have to have a good seal to push out a ball. If the patch dries out it becomes very difficult, ran into this with a friends who left it loaded a few years. tried the compressor but could not get it to go unitl we rigged up a fitting that screwed tight into the touchhole so we did not loose any air. the co2 works because it actually can spray a little liguified under pressure co2 in the hole and it expands rapidly to propel the ball. either way, the more oil or lube you get down the barrel to soak the old ball or bullet in the better. good luck ball pullers do work but thy are more successful if you use lots of lube once agian and have a rod you can put in a vice one you get it screwed in and use a block of wood on the top of the barrel to tap it with a hammer to slowly pull the ball. It pays to have an assistant.

·
Registered
746 Posts
one more thing i wanted to add, if you already tired a ball puller and you happened to thread a hole all the way through the ball, maybe possible if you have a long one and are pulling a round ball, then you may have ruined your chances to propel the all out with air or co2.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The bike pump and the CO2 discharger are the same except for the nozzles. They work. I'll 2nd steelstalkers post.

Bill

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Steelstalker: thanks for the great reply! I am afraid I did drill a hole through the ball. I might be done for on this gun. A lot of sentimental value to this gun. If I have to hang it about my fireplace I will.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I haven't done this, but know of others that have. Use dish soap or oil like mentioned above, let it sit, and use loktite when you screw into the ball. Leave that sit till it sets and try again. I've seen it work, good luck.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If all else fails take the barrel to a smith. He'll get it out. By no means should you give up on it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
What kind barrel. I know some have removable breaches that only a smith can get off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts