The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see today the politicans win in CO, Gov set to sign magazine limits and universal checks. Feel good, do nothing against crime, limit the good guys laws.

Guess criminals will have to break two more laws there now befiore they go on a killing spree then shoot themselves..nice protection CO.

VP BIDEN is tweeting like a teenage girl who got her first kiss over this one.

Good news, many CO Sheriffs there are already saying they won't enforce it. Bing it for the links of your choice..

·
Banned
994 Posts
RB-HPA said:
I see today the politicans win in CO, Gov set to sign magazine limits and universal checks. Feel good, do nothing against crime, limit the good guys laws.

Guess criminals will have to break two more laws there now befiore they go on a killing spree then shoot themselves..nice protection CO.
I have yet to hear a valid argument against universal background checks.

Taking gun shows and personal sales away from the bad guys makes it more difficult for them to obtain a gun. Making them break laws to get guns increases our odds of catching them.

Everyone complains that we don't enforce the current gun laws on the books. While this argument has some merit, the current laws are useless if the bad guys have legal ways to purchase guns.

·
Administrator
29,926 Posts
I can see it now. Freddy gangbanger waiting to pick up his new piece at the trunk of Guido's car, while Guido calls in for the background check.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
if freddy gangbanger can not buy one through a dealer because he is a felon then guido should not be selling him one from the trunk of his car.

·
Administrator
29,926 Posts
Reread what you just wrote, maybe you'll see why they're called criminals.

·
Banned
994 Posts
gunmaster12 said:
cotradbow
do you honestly think they are not keeping records now?
what do you think the 7743 form is?
Correcting your typo, form 4473. You have to wonder why some on here object to the universal checks. Could it be they have something to hide? As you stated, they go thru the same paper trail at the gun store. Makes no sense to have background checks at the retail stores, but not other sales.

Every responsible gun owner should welcome universal background checks. How many guns sold thru HPA classifieds have ended up in a felon's hands? Hopefully none, but we should encourage measures to ensure they don't.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Jerry the problem with caving in as you seem to be in favor of, is you totally ignore what the gun banners freely admit. All they need is a crack to get their toe in the door then they push for total disarmament and confiscation. Is best to fight tooth and nail over EVERYTHING and not give an inch. PERIOD.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
JerrySS said:
gunmaster12 said:
cotradbow
do you honestly think they are not keeping records now?
what do you think the 7743 form is?
Correcting your typo, form 4473. You have to wonder why some on here object to the universal checks. Could it be they have something to hide? As you stated, they go thru the same paper trail at the gun store. Makes no sense to have background checks at the retail stores, but not other sales.

Every responsible gun owner should welcome universal background checks. How many guns sold thru HPA classifieds have ended up in a felon's hands? Hopefully none, but we should encourage measures to ensure they don't.
I doubt many here want to put a firearm into the wrong hands. Universal checks can't be enforced between two people who know each other, face to face, selling/ receiving a firearm that has never been through anything. The people who want these checks to extend to "universal" know that! The next logical(ahem) move would be to require full registration to close that 2 person "gunshow" loophole.

No, as a responsible gun owner, I'm not embracing universal checks!

If I don't know someone, and are unsure of the person... myself voluntarily requiring a check to be performed on the buyer would be the better way.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Universal checks can't be enforced between two people who know each other, face to face, selling/ receiving a firearm that has never been through anything.
What percentage of sales fall into this category? My guess would be very small.

If I don't know someone, and are unsure of the person... myself voluntarily requiring a check to be performed on the buyer would be the better way
I commend you for your discipline, but I have doubts most people would take the time when someone is handing them cash.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
jerry

what part of your freedom of speach do you want to give up? how about saying something politcal and religious, because that speach may offend someone.

what part of illegal search and siesure do you want to give up? how about to right of a seach warrent, hey if you're not a criminal you have nothing to hide - ever.

what part of the right to vote do you want to give up? hey wwe the government know who's best for the job, no need for you to elect anyone.

why do you advocate giving up 1 feedom but don't want to give up your other rights?

it's an easy question, I hope you have an answer.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
JerrySS said:
Universal checks can't be enforced between two people who know each other, face to face, selling/ receiving a firearm that has never been through anything.
What percentage of sales fall into this category? My guess would be very small.

If I don't know someone, and are unsure of the person... myself voluntarily requiring a check to be performed on the buyer would be the better way
I commend you for your discipline, but I have doubts most people would take the time when someone is handing them cash.
If it's very small number of transactions....what's the big deal? When it comes down to it, universal background checks on all private sales will be on the honor system. You admit it won't work..and I suspect the full registration required to make it effective isn't a bitter pill for you. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Plus all handguns already require background check now and the cost is anywhere from $30 to $75 depending on the shop to transfer a handgun person to person.

Then all the goverment needs to do is impose a "transfer tax', another $50, $100, $250. Then it would be cost prohibitve to transfer most guns legally. (Don't forget the coming "ammo tax")

Not for any further background checks.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
It's been explained many times why universal background checks are bad.
The response? "Yeah right, talk about conspiracy theories".

So, you either get it, or you don't.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
there is no pending ammo tax. I have read all the introduced bills. not one mentions an increase in tax on any thing. the transfer and pics fee is only $8 if you buy the gun there. dealers can charge a service fee for outside transactions.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
extended background checks is to add mental adjudication. many states do not do this. it also uniforms all the states to require background checks on all purchases with exemptions of gift, close family,. this bill does not do a national registry. although some bills did but, those will not go anywhere.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
gunmaster12 said:
there is no pending ammo tax. I have read all the introduced bills. not one mentions an increase in tax on any thing. the transfer and pics fee is only $8 if you buy the gun there. dealers can charge a service fee for outside transactions.
and obama was not going to take our guns either. Last gun I bought it was a $10 Pics fee and the FFL was $25.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts