The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. A club that I belong to has put a gas pad on the property(I am sure plenty of you have had to deal with this). Well, anyway the pad went in along with a half mile road to get to the pad. Of course a tree stand location went with it. My question is, the gas company was on the club land on Monday putting in stakes and ribbons in groups of 3. On the stakes was a bunch of letters and numbers. My question is what are these for? My guess it is where they are going to run actual gas lines. This will further wreck this outstanding hunting property. The pad itself wrecked about 60 acres. Anyone have any thoughts....

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
It is the boundary for areas to be disturbed, more than likely. Could be a pipeline, or any other type of work. Does the club own the property and mineral rights...if so the areas to be disturbed should have been addressed in the lease. If not addressed in the lease, you could be at the mercy of the gas guys.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Pipelines near our cabin are great areas to hunt. Gas co reseeded one with a clover mix and deer and turkey love it.
After the drilling, there is little to no activity on the gas pads, the deer get used to it and feed along side the pads at night.
With the low prices on gas now days, they may not drill at all, but needed to put the pad in to hold the lease.
Royalty $$'s helped us fund new equipment for putting in food plots and habitat improvements.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am not sure how they ruined 60 acres. A pad is generally not more than an acre or two.
It will be different than before , but far from ruined. There will be more edges for the deer to feed. The gas company will reseed with what ever you get them generally or they will put rye grass in. They replant trees etc.

I have not seen where they ruined anything. Changed it but not ruined.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
The pipeline they put on my property in 3B has made the hunting fantastic. Pinch points suddenly popped up and plenty of feed for the animals.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Gas pad next to our csmp is 3-4 acre gravel. First year they put it in the construction disturbed the usual routine. Bow season came and deer were skirting the pad but still using trails near stands. Even when drilling the deer weren't spooky. Rifle season was great as the area around pad was planted with rye and clover. Pipeline went in a year or so later and the end result was great for turkey and deer. 8-9 years later only a few visits a week from maintenance guys around 9-10 am. It will look messy and different for a while. Only thing that could be different is if a compressor station is on the pad. Loud and noisy.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gas pad next to our csmp is 3-4 acre gravel. First year they put it in the construction disturbed the usual routine. Bow season came and deer were skirting the pad but still using trails near stands. Even when drilling the deer weren't spooky. Rifle season was great as the area around pad was planted with rye and clover. Pipeline went in a year or so later and the end result was great for turkey and deer. 8-9 years later only a few visits a week from maintenance guys around 9-10 am. It will look messy and different for a while. Only thing that could be different is if a compressor station is on the pad. Loud and noisy.
Road leading into this pad is about 35 yards wide and all gravel. Road is at least a quarter mile into the property. That area can't be seeded. I agree that a pipeline into the pad could become a deer magnet, just hope that there is no more gravel.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Road leading into this pad is about 35 yards wide and all gravel. Road is at least a quarter mile into the property. That area can't be seeded. I agree that a pipeline into the pad could become a deer magnet, just hope that there is no more gravel.
The road will be gravel but any pipelines will be seeded.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
The gas well behind my camp has a gravel rd. longer then 1/4 mile. Last year my 14 year old nephew set up with his father on a grass berm overlooking a 20 acre field on the youth doe day. The boy shot 2 doe in a little over an hour with guys driving the rd all afternoon back and forth to the pad. One gas truck actually parked and watched him take the second doe. Those deer do not care!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts