The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a cheaper source of clover seed within an hour and a half or so drive of Montgomery County? All my local co ops are around 5 a pound this year, and roher's is about the same. Seems that the price has gone up, if that's the going rate then that's what I'll pay, but I was hoping someone would know of a cheaper source.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gone that route before Ben, I've found that the only thing you pay for with WI is the name. I've had no noticeable difference between the box store brands and the mixes I can get at the local co op or Agway.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ernst Seeds in western pa has a clover mixes at $3.75 - 4.11 / lb. shipping is quick.. What you pay to have it shipped now days, is less then what you would pay for gas to drive to pick it up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tanneryhunts said:
I've gone that route before Ben, I've found that the only thing you pay for with WI is the name. I've had no noticeable difference between the box store brands and the mixes I can get at the local co op or Agway.
X2!! I've really found that those buck on the bag mixes are way overpriced and way over-rated! Plus I love mixing my own blends and tweaking it for our needs.

I got my red for 1.80/lb (50lb.bag) and my Alice white for 2.10/lb at my local farm supply (Koch's) for my frost seeding this year. Both were innoculated (treated) also. Seed by the pound was a little higher but not 5 bucks/ lb

Guess things all around are just more expensive "down your way".

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BME, yes, unfortunately things often are more expensive down here. Where Is Koch's? My cabin is in 4C and I never mind a good ride.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never mind, I found it. It's actually on the way to the cabin if I take the back way. Perfect.......thanks BME!

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
KingRon said:
Ernst Seeds in western pa has a clover mixes at $3.75 - 4.11 / lb. shipping is quick.. What you pay to have it shipped now days, is less then what you would pay for gas to drive to pick it up.

Nice thing about Ernst clover mix is you can spray it with Gly. Try that with Imperial Whitetail and you'll kill it. Even the stuff they sell to spray the Imperial clover will kill it unless heavily diluted which then doesn't work as well.

I will say deer here prefer the Imperial clover but they still crush the Ernst clover and being able to spray really helps.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Try Oley Feed Mill. 610-987-0910

or

Bechtelsville Agway 610-367-2515

Don't forget to get innoculant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts