The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I raked, re-limed, spread imperial clover and cultipacked. Hope for some rain and see what happens. I used a drop sreader on the lowest possible setting to lime then drop the seads. I used the big bag for our plot and some new trails that I put in through the property. The area covered is well less then the 2.2 acres a large bag is to cover. After spreading the seed it didnt seem to be as visible and to cover as much as I expected it to eventhough I went over it multiple times. I just hope that the majority was covered by riding over it and thats why so few seeds were visible.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What sized bag did you use? 18 lbs as long as you worked the soil and cultipacked the seed, you will be good to go, if you use to much seed when the soil is preped right you are throwing your money out the window, because to much seed means there will seed be lost in the battle over moister and nutrition. hope it does well.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. The seed just didnt seem as visible as the brasica I threw down last fall. I hope it will be ok, It just seems clover is hard to grow, but I am determined to do so. I think I spread too much brasica in the fall because the plot was full but the plants werent huge in size. I hope clover comes in, suppose to get the first rain since the planting tonight. 1/4".

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
You must have much better eyes than me to be able to see clover or brassica seed on the ground.
I definately wouldn't judge the seed coverage of small seeds by sight. Just put down the recommended amount of seed and pray for rain.

As others have said too much seed will result in stunted growth, particularly with brassicas. I learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
the seed is easy to see on the ground because it is blue. But since you don't see much it is probably a good thing the cultipacker did its job.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got a good steady rain, so we will see what happens. I hope you are right. Thanks!

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clover is growing already will try to get some photos up!

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are pictures of the plot a few days after planting. I will be checking on the progress this week and will add more photos.

Last Summer in to fall.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can you fertilize or add more lime to clover when it begins to grow during first planting to help it become established or is it only recommended to have it in the soil prior to planting?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
You can fertilize pretty much anytime. Just don't fertilize when the dew is still on the leaves, can burn a bit.

Lime shouldn't be a problem, especially pelletized lime.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: Clover Plot.....UPDATE

go to your local feed store and purchase Edgecow its about $6.00 for a 50 lb bag its a quick start fertilizer you can put it on or after your clover starts to grow, it will give it a good boost, tried it , it works

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thank you will try, does it matter if the clover is wet or dry?

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thank you will try, does it matter if the clover is wet or dry?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts

NEVER fertilize clover when it's wet. Fertilizer will stick to the leaves and burn it. Wait until it's dry, preferably just before a rain event.

·
Registered
125 Posts

you can fertilize clover if it is wet if you use a different kinda fert. that will not harm you plants AT ALL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts