The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend? I have read that a zero nitrogen is best. I have like 100lbs of 5-10-5 laying around. Can that be used or should I go buy something like 0-10-20. I'd prefer to save the money and just use what I have but I certainly don't want to cause any damage to the plot. Is this a situation where 5-10-5 will just not work as good as 0-10-20 or is it a situation where the nitrogen will harm the plot? I'm 100% new to all of this as you can tell so if this question is dumb then sorry.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I think something like 0-20-20 or 0-10-20 would be better for clover, that is what I always used with good results. With adding nitrogen to clover you might promote more weeds in your plot. Clover produces its own nitrogen
When you want to help wildlife and your spending your hard earned money you want the best for what you have.
There are no dumb questions to ask. The only dumb ones are the ones you do not ask. That is why HPA is such a valuable
resource to all of us. There are experts here and they are always glad to help.
Remember, we were all new to this at one time or another!!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've always put 10-20-20 on my clover mainly b/c that was the lowest nitrogen content I can get locally. I've never had any problems.

The reason you're supposed to use low to no nitrogen fertilizer is b/c clovers fix their own nitrogen and you'll be feeding any weeds with the nitrogen in your fertilizer. If this is a new plot it's good to put some nitrogen on the clover to give it a boost before it begins to fix the nitrogen on its own.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i recommend bio-soil, wont burn the plants, stays in the soil for more than a year, not a chemical, and increases protein levels

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Antler King actually recommended something with a bit of nitrogen in it for the first planting but then a 0-#-# going forward. The thing is really growing, its amazing. 4 days and basically every seed has 2 leafs popping out of it. Deer are already eating it though, not sure what to do about that yet.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
10-20-20 would be good for the first fert.I use 10-20-20 every year on my clover with good results.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Well, ya'll ain't gonna believe this, BUT, I used 46-0-0 on my clover this year and was VERY happy with the results.

Yes, clover fixes it's own nitrogen, but, a little on top doesn't hurt much, especially if your pH is a little on the low side.

One of my hero's, Ed Spinnazola actually recommends a September application of 46-0-0 for clover. Ed ain't wrong about it. Try it, ya might like it.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
You think I measure? LOL

I'd say about 25 lbs of 46-0-0 to about 4/10ths of an acre.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info dutch. I dropped some of the stuff I had laying around on it instead. Thing has been down a week and its covered in green. Had 70 some pictures in it though in 5 days. They are eating it like its the only thing in the woods. I might have to get some plot saver or something.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I don't know what seed mix PCM used, but, MOST clover seed is now preinnoculated, not all, but most that I have seen. The commercial foodplot mixes are for sure.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi - I used Antler King and it is covered in something red that is supposed to help it grow. I also sprayed the entire plot with Antler King PLOT MAX. I've got 1 inch and 2 inch plants coming up in 7 days. Green haze all over the plot. Its looking pretty good so far.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I used Antler King and it is covered in something red that is supposed to help it grow.
That would be the innoculant, along with a coating of lime. If you look at the seed ingredients, you'll probably find that about 30% of the weight of the product is "seed coating". 70% or so is the actual seed.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It said it would plant a half acre but I don't think I had more than a half acre and I wasn't happy with the amount of seed. Ended up adding my own red clover to it just to get enough seed down. We shall see what happens in the next 3 weeks I guess.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
When a bag says it will plant a "1/2 acre", that is under OPTIMUM conditions of soil prep, etc. Generally, I double it, or close to it. Not saying I'm right, but, I get better plots than my buddy that follows the directions to the letter, for the most part.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts