The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my clover planted tonight, so hopefully it will get rained on tonight and tomorrow. Plot is 50' x 60' and really brought in the deer 2 years ago when I first did it and I should have got it sprayed then but didn't. I will have to keep after it this time!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Looks good! Spring planting is a tough battle with the weeds, but it looks like you can keep a close eye on the plot as it develops. Good luck with it, and keep us posted with pics!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Don't be real disappointed if you have a weedy mess come August. Just mow it and spray 2-4-D-b and by Next year you will have a nice patch.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looking good Powder, Whitetail Institute products are top notch, the weeds will devil you for sure but you can stay on top of them. Don't let them go to seed on you, keep them mowed, or pull them, and after the clover is mature enough you can spray the grass and broadleafs out of it. Some weeds are fine but they are always looking to take over, they are unrelenting. Keep us updated on your progress

·
Registered
333 Posts
I never have any luck with spring clover plantings. I prefer to do fall planting with clover and winter wheat or cereal rye. Mow in the spring to kill off the cover crop and always end up with a nice clover field.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Nice looking field Blackpowder. I'm planning on doing a fall ladino clover plot this year probably in the 3 to 4 acre range and probably a small section of turnips.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Fall planting with a cover crop IMO is the best method, If your spring planting doesn't work out Powder, you will have time to do a fall planting

1 - 19 of 19 Posts