The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the latest you would mow a plot that you plan to hunt opening day? I don't think its ready to be mowed now because its only been 30 days since I planted it but I assume it will be soon. Would you wait until a couple weeks before season or do it now?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
clover comes up fast, when i studied it at the USDA we had to mow it weekly.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
PCM, as late as you planted, not sure I'd even mow it, unless you want to just trim the weeds a bit so they don't go to seed. After mowing, I'd give it a shot of 10-20-20 fertilizer.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You're plot has alot of brassica's as well. I wouldn't mow it all. You need to just pull or trim the weeds as you see them.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Oh gosh, lets get a pic of him pulling weeds.

Actually, I did just that in some plots this weekend while the soil was moist.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahah, I'll go up this weekend and pull some weeds I guess. I'll get a pic as well, hopefully its growing like crazy, its been over a week since I've been up to see it. What do you guys think about spraying it with Arrest or something right now?

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went up today and pulled as many ferns as I could. The plot doesn't seem to be doing much better than 7 days ago when I was up there. Might be time for some more PLOT MAX or something. Then again, maybe they are eating it. I put the camera on it now to see whats going on. I expected a lot more growth but it seems to now be at a stand still.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Do what dutch said and fertilize with the 10-20-20.A couple weeks ago we mowed then put 10-20-20 down.Right now things are looking great.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
PCM, the fertilizer MAY help, but if soil pH is low, the clover won't be able to use all the nitrogen. But, give it a shot of 10-20-20, if you can find it and also put a small exclusion cage up.

Moons in Ulysses might have it, or perhaps MacKnights Agway in Westfield.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts