The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought a camp in this will be our first winter with it. It uses a generator for electricity to fill the water holding tank. When we have closed it down after a weekend, we have poured antifreeze down the drains and into the toilet. When we shut down for the winter, we plan on emptying the hot water tank, turning off the pilot light, emptying holding tank, draining all water lines and then putting the antifreeze in the drains as well. Anything we are missing or any suggestions? Should we be emptying the holding tank and hot water tank after each weekend? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a shop vac that I can use the "Blow" end. Hold it up to all the faucets and push any remaining water back through the pipes. I use this on the drains as well to push water out of the traps. I'd recommend getting extra PVC, copper, etc. and all the fittings. Stuff breaks/freezes and I've had to do repairs many a time when I arrived at camp at 10:00 at night while the fireplace is pushing the thermometer above 40 degrees inside. Have Fun ! Next investment will be a permanent heat source to set to 45 degrees during the winter !!

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I highly reccomend converting all the lines to PEX! Its awesome!!!!! Use a compressor with a fitting and you just blow everything out. You will never have any problems

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
clearfield12 said:
I highly reccomend converting all the lines to PEX! Its awesome!!!!! Use a compressor with a fitting and you just blow everything out. You will never have any problems
win!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i blow all the lines with a compressor until they are dry and then just put RV antifreeze in the sink traps. i plunge the toilet down and then dump half a gallon antifreeze in the tank and let it run down until the water in the bowel is pink and then plunge it down. i leave my pressure tank and hw heater full but they are in a closed in, insulated area of my crawlspace and i never have a problem with them. i wrap the pipes right near the pressure tank with old carpet and duct tape it tight.
one of these days i'm going to redo the whole place with pex but until then i just have lots of pvc fittings and extra pipe, cleaner and glue at all times. only time i needed it was when i didn't blow the place out after deer and it froze before i got back over the holidays. i learned my lesson that time.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
When putting pink RV antifreeze in the toilet, pull the flush flapper up and pour some directly into the hole after the tank is emptied, to make sure the toilet trap itself has antifreeze in it.

After a bit, the antifreeze will "show up" in the bowl. You'll want to let the bowl pretty much normally filled with the mixture of antifreeze/water, or it may evaporate over the winter months, depending on how long the camp will sit empty?

My camp often sits unused from the end of firearms deer, until March, unless I go up for flintlock, depending on whether or not I can get in to it (snow depth).

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Put some rodent killer out for the mice. They have a way of finding there way in over the winter.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
KingRon said:
Any reason to use RV anti-freeze over regular full strength Car Anti-freeze?
RV antifreeze is non toxic to humans.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
That and it won't mess up a septic system or stain toilets like automotive antifreeze sometimes does. Plus it's cheaper and designed for the purpose.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I didn't see this posted yet, but after you drain your lines make sure you leave all the valves and faucets in the open position.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I just dump the water buckets outside and leave them over the sink drains.

No trap just a direct line to the outhouse vault.

Getting water in the winter isn't too bad.

The spring usually doesn't freeze, the hard part is carrying the buckets back in the snow with out tripping on snow covered rocks.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Anyone use windshield washer fluid instead of RV antifreeze? Any negatives associated with using it?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
OHIOFLATLANDER said:
Anyone use windshield washer fluid instead of RV antifreeze? Any negatives associated with using it?
windshield washer fluid has alcohol in it, it would evaporate and fluid would freeze, use rv antifreeze.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
One of the cheapest and best anti-mouse techniques we use on our campers every year (and they are stored in a large field) is to buy the cheapest fragranced dryer sheets (Members Mark) you can find and put them in every cabinet, drawer, cuppoard, on beds, under beds, couches, floors, storage areas, etc. Don't know why, but it works.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts