The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a set of climbing sticks. Seems like Hawk, LW and XOP have some nice offerings. Does anyone have experience with these or recommend others?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
...I have older Gorilla aluminum ...really like them

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hawk Heliums get my vote. They are lightweight and have the two step design vs. the one step design. This way I don't have to worry about how I am stepping up the tree at O' dark 30. Also, there are a bunch of forums and videos online on how to modify them to make them even lighter and easier to put up.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hawk Heliums get my vote. They are lightweight and have the two step design vs. the one step design. This way I don't have to worry about how I am stepping up the tree at O' dark 30. Also, there are a bunch of forums and videos online on how to modify them to make them even lighter and easier to put up.
Yeah they do seem nice and the price is 1/2 of what LW gets. I didnt want to buy Hawk and then regret the purchase b/c they were cheap garbage

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Guys really like the hawks. I have a set of LW that I use the rope mod on. They are good too.

You can pick up a set of LW used on Archery Talk for a decent price usually.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah they do seem nice and the price is 1/2 of what LW gets. I didnt want to buy Hawk and then regret the purchase b/c they were cheap garbage

I don't think they are garbage. If you check out YouTub, Rokslide Forums and Saddlehunter Forums, you will see a lot of guys like and use the Hawk sticks. There are tons of ways to modify them on those sights as well. There will always be that one guy that thinks he can make them better and will find that way.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I really like my Heliums. The double step is an absolute necessity to me and nothing else really compares.

Last year I ran them stock. This offseason I did a few modifications to them. Cut the length down and took out the middle step, added rope/versa button, and changed up my aider system. They are basically the perfect climbing stick for my system now. But even stock they are great for most guys’ needs.

They are made in China but I’ve thus far seen top notch quality in the extrusion and hardware. At worst you may have to tighten some bolts out of the box, I’ve seen guys complain about that… talk about nitpicking.

My modified version. Obviously the mods void warranties, yada yada.

Compactness packing them, there is nothing close.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually ordered a set last night (Heliums). Cableas had a 10%off yesterday only and free shipping over $50 so i pulled the trigger. Bonus was i used my Cab points so i am getting a set of sticks for "free". I ordered rope and i have a bunch of webbing at home. As soon as they arrive i plan on hacking them to pieces, LOL. Looking forward to a mobile set of sticks and may be able to ditch the climber.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If you want to check out different mods people have done go to the saddlehunter
forums. Those guys have a lot of ingenuity.

Elkyinzer, what rope is that? I like the color better than the black I'm using.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

7mm Sterling accessory cord. Desert camo. Rwrope.com usually has it in stock and woodland camo also. I feel like I should be getting commission at this point I've linked it across a few different forums.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Couple years ago I bought LW alpha and 4 pack of LW sticks. Sticks were very solid, but didn’t like the single step idea. I ended up selling them. I just picked up Hawk Helium sticks, have not had the chance to try them yet. I need to put some cloth tape on them and the buckles on the straps.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

7mm Sterling accessory cord. Desert camo. Rwrope.com usually has it in stock and woodland camo also. I feel like I should be getting commission at this point I've linked it across a few different forums.
Ive been using black 8mm accessory cord, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm partial to the Muddy Ascender , steps close together , steps horizontal . Perfect for a guy with short legs . Very safe and solid . Each on comes with a lifeline

·
Registered
503 Posts
Last year I used the LW and hated the single step design. I did zero mods to it and standing on the top step ... on one foot ... trying to do the next stick ... often times in the dark .... was a pita. I ordered the hawk this past spring. I'll probably use them stock for the first few times out to see if I want to make any adjustments or not. If I were setting the LW out and leaving it out for multiple hunts - I could deal with the single step, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile hang on approach.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Last year I used the LW and hated the single step design. I did zero mods to it and standing on the top step ... on one foot ... trying to do the next stick ... often times in the dark .... was a pita. I ordered the hawk this past spring. I'll probably use them stock for the first few times out to see if I want to make any adjustments or not. If I were setting the LW out and leaving it out for multiple hunts - I could deal with the single step, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile hang on approach.

I dont mind the single step on the LW sticks. One foot on the step and then I lean back with the linemen's belt on. As long as its not too slack its pretty easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts