The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Loggy Bayou climbers for about 20 years and i love them. I'm looking to buy a new one but Loggy doesn't make them anymore. now i've looked at Summit and others and what baffles me is, none of them appear, to me, to work like the loggy. the loggy, when you put the seat up and strap it in, the stand is attached similar to a hang-on and can NOT fall. i'm concerned because from what i can tell, the Summit and others don't lock into the tree, other than your weight downward keeping it locked. for instance, if you are standing up to take a shot, what if you snag the seat and it lifts? it seems to me it will come loose and drop. or is there a strap similar to the loggy that i'm not aware of that locks it into the tree? any opinions are greatly appreciated. so far i'm leaning toward the new Summit Switchblade. just hoping to find out from others, their pros and cons of these stands. thanks!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have never used the Switchblade but have used a Summit Revolution for the last 9 years.

Mine and I am sure most come with a piece of nylon rope attached to the top(seat)portion of the climber. That is so you can tie the top and bottom part together so the bottom wont slide down the tree.

Another thing that I do is to use a small nylon strap and secure the top and bottom parts of the treestand around the tree. I just put it through the metal of the treestand and then around the tree, then the "teeth" are always snug against the tree and the parts cant move.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I use climbing stands only. I have two summits one with the surrounding bar and one without. I like the one without the bar the most, but climbing is alittle more difficult. The only problem I have had with sliding on trees is when I try to climb a tree thats to big.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use a small bungee cord around the top or, seat section of the climber. Bump it all you want -- it can't/won't slide down.

Yes, you need to tie together both sections of the climber -- the top and the bottom.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I have the Summit climber and never had a questionable safety experience with it. There are "teeth" on the lower portion that dig into the tree and the cable that goes around the tree locks it into place.

The only thing I don't like about my Summit is the cable that wraps around the tree isn't long enough to go around a big tree.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
loggy is back in business but they arent making a climber this year, if u wanted another like ur old one i would maybe wait one more year...i have 3 of them and love them

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My Summit Bushmaster came with a nylon strap thats used to cinch the 2 sections together for carrying. This is also used to cinch the seat section to the tree. As far as I know all the 2 section Summit climbers came that way.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
My summit stands have never slipped, their system is great, but if you need the added feeling of security, simply cary a ratchet strap in your pack and attach it to the upper portion. For the record, there are tethers that come standard on all Summit climbers to connect the two sections in the event that the bottom would drop away while climbing or descending. Had this happen years ago with a cheap model and it was scary to say the least. Glad I had my harness. Never leave home without it!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Tree Mouse said:
My Summit Bushmaster came with a nylon strap thats used to cinch the 2 sections together for carrying. This is also used to cinch the seat section to the tree. As far as I know all the 2 section Summit climbers came that way.
That is exactly what you are to do. I have never had a problem when I attach the two together.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a Gorilla Greyback and it has straps to cinch the top and bottom sections to the tree. Plus it has a strap that connects the two so the bottom doesn't fall down the tree!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I use a small bungy cord or a ratchet strap to secure my seat to the tree with my climber. The last thing you want to do is get up there with out one because they do fall out from underneith you if you arent careful. You should also have the top and bottom portions of the stand tied together incase your bottom falls down when you are sitting.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
My summit stands have never slipped, their system is great, but if you need the added feeling of security, simply cary a ratchet strap in your pack and attach it to the upper portion. For the record, there are tethers that come standard on all Summit climbers to connect the two sections in the event that the bottom would drop away while climbing or descending. Had this happen years ago with a cheap model and it was scary to say the least. Glad I had my harness. Never leave home without it!
BINGO!!! I carry a camo rachet strap, once I get to my hunting height. I apply the rachet strap to the top section. It will not go anyhwere!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
The tree stands changed, I guess back in the late 90's from a dig in type of stand, to a grabbing type. I remember hearing rumors that the industry wanted to protect the forest from the marauding tree stand climbers.

I like and still use my digging in type, and never bought the rumor. Besides, I have pine trees on the site, used for tree climbing practice, that are healthy after 15 years.

The old stand is nearing 20 years, and it is a valued possession. Besides the old stand doesn't cost $400 or so.
I take very good care of it. It's got heirloom status.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Don't make it tougher than what it is. The green strap that you get to hold the top and bottom stand together is also used to go around the tree and around the lower section of the top part to keep the upper part from falling when you stand up.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I use the summit viper,useable ratchet strap to secure the top section to the tree,my biggest complaint with the summit is the cable system,should be longer,and the adjustments are too far apart,sometimes I can't get it level because of that,they should use a system with a chain like API ,you can adjust the stand in much smaller increments.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I used to use the loggy stands,haven't touched the two I owned ever since I bought my summit,I consider the loggy metal band to be a deathtrap!

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
I always HATED two things about my Loggy...

(1) The nervousness I had when attaching the seat's rope system, or when it was unattached, because the stand was noticeably less solid then.

(2) Putting those big rubberbands over my heals. The way to keep the stand solid is to put weight on the outer end to push the stand tighter to the tree. Standing close the the tree does the opposite, making it easier for it to slide down the tree (on the rubber coated band style of stand). Pulling those rubber straps over my heals not only made me stand close to the tree, it also pulled UP on the outer end of the stand. Yikes!

The Summit Rapid Climb stirrups are one of the best inventions for a climbing stand I've seen. You can be in your harness, sitting on the seat climber, and get hooked up on the foot platform using just your feet.

I liked my Loggy, but I would NEVER go back to it from my Summit.

(for those old enough, remember Baker stands????
)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts