The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned an API Grandstand Magnum for quite some time. But, over those years I've also tried at least 4 other brands of climber. Each one I tried was hunted out of at least three times, and I tried them all on virtually every type of tree on my property, so I think I gave them all a good chance. Including my API they all had one little "flaw" as far as I'm concerned. Once up the tree and the seat part firmly locked(strapped) in, the foot part was not as stable as I would like. Each one had some "roll" to it if even a small amount of side pressure was put on it. The only one time Ii ever felt totally secure with the foot part, was when I belted in real well and lowered myself to a sitting position on the foot part, and actually put a ratchet strap around the tree like the seat part uses. Guess my question is two fold: is there a climber with a rock solid foot part, and if not why hasn't anyone ever made one that can somehow be tightened from the seat part?

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
I have a lone wolf and once you get in the stand,you cinch the straps that connect the seat to the platform.That makes it rock solid and it never shifts.A company called third hand archery products makes a similar products that's actually a little better.
http://thirdhandarchery.com/home.asp

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ive been using a summit viper for 5 yrs. What I've learned is the type of tree makes a big difference. I only climb popular trees. The stand bites in hard on them. Plus I climb high, usually at least 30 ft. Plus I hunt pressured deer, I can't have a single sqeek. I set the foot platform by hopping on outer edge. Set the seat part by hopping my weight on bar. Strap on seat to tree. It doesn't move. Sets in so hard, I have trouble getting it loose to climb down.
Other type trees, it doesn't set in as good. Just another .02.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Third hand man stabilizer straps. Get the Kentucky bow hunters package which also includes there bow holder. It is also great!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have a 20-some year old Loggy Lite. I don't know if they make anything like them any more. But the thing is a ROCK. It does NOT move at all. Weighs only 10 pounds, too, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
HNTRDAVE said:
Third hand man stabilizer straps. Get the Kentucky bow hunters package which also includes there bow holder. It is also great!
This, get the whole Kentucky Bow Hunters package! Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
Strut10 said:
I have a 20-some year old Loggy Lite. I don't know if they make anything like them any more. But the thing is a ROCK. It does NOT move at all. Weighs only 10 pounds, too, IIRC.
I used one for years.You are correct.Once set,they didn't go anywhere.Unfortunately,they weren't real stabile to climb with especially when wet.I still have scars on my face and chest from sliding down wet trees lol.They were cutting edge at the time though.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
My summit bushmaster sets pretty tight on the proper trees. For the seat portion, esp., I wiggle the teeth into the bark pretty well before attaching the strap to secure it. My weight is always on the base and I am cognizant to not have all my weight just on one edge but if you did, I could see how that could get squirrely. Not worth the effort, IMO, to put a secondary strap on the bottom portion of my climber. Been using it for over eleven years like that.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The third hand straps are well worth the effort. faster easier and work much better then putting the single strap around the cable.If you have never used them you don't have any idea how much difference they make.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also have a summit bushmaster and the teeth dig in and are hard to get out on a thicker soft bark tree. Climbing treestands are the most dangerous part of hunting. I've been climbing trees and even hunted out of big pine trees when I was a kid just sitting in the branch. I'm also a house painter and have been climbing ladders and staging my whole life. Any climber is going to give a little when you step on a corner of shift your weight too much depending on body weight. Modern treestands are much safer than the old ones with a steel "V" around the tree. It really just comes down to confidence. I don't climb with my safety belt. I just put it on at the top in case I would fall asleep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts