The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Summit Viper climber (great stand), but I like to have my gear with me too. I use a daypack and strap it to the stand, but it's awkward (at best) to carry. Has anyone found an alternate type pack or ideal way to transport a stand/pack combination?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Here is what I do and It works good for me.

I went to the Army/Navy store or army surplus what ever and bought a right and left pack strap from the old ALICE pack frame. (not the frame just the straps from the frame) then went to Wal-Mart (or where ever) and bought 4 dog clips, I attached them to the strap one at each end. I attach the dog clips to the expanded metal and wear the treestand like a pack frame. it works about as good as I can find. hope this tip helps.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I only take the necessities in the woods with me.I use a Cabelas bowhunter vest and never use a pack.I like the vest because it has enough room to carry everything I need and it also has cinch straps on the pack to carry in extra cloths.I have a buddy that hunts with me every year and he carries a pack big enough to survive a week in the Rockies.That would drive me nuts.

The vest is also nice because it doesn't get in the way with your stand when carrying it in.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I use the same stand and pack. I put all my clothes in the pack and get dressed at the stand site to avoid sweating, some places take over an hour to get to. I lay the stand down, place the pack where your feet usually would sit. Then take the footrest and fold it up against the pack to hold it there. Take two bungee cords and cinch that footrest good and tight to the stand and backpack. I've done this for years, and never had it go anywhere.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I went and bought a waist pack and took all of my stuff out of my back pack..I went and bought a carabiner and I hooked my waist pack directed to the Foot section of the tree stand. The only thing in my hands when I walk in is my bow. And when I am climbing my pack is with me at all time. I only use my backpack if I am going to be sitting in my stand all day....gives me more room for food and drinks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i have a fanny pack that i put all my calls, etc. into and connect it to my climber so it sits tight while i'm packing in.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Looks like we're pretty much on the same page (connecting our packs in some manner to the stand.) Maybe I'm just too concerned about improvising. My pack is about due for replacement, and I was hoping that someone was manufacturing a pack that was designed specifically to attach to the climbing stand for carrying (in addition to normal use.) I carry too much, but I know that's not going to change, so the right pack is important to me. I've been thinking about switching from a daypack to a fanny style, but the more I read, the more concerned I am about the fanny pack interfering with carrying a shouldered rifle in gun season. I like the Badlands Superday Pack, but once again there's no provision for attching it to the stand for transport. I'll just have to either compromise or go into the pack business.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I use an API Grand Slam climber and I strap my daypack onto my climber for carrying to my stand site. I carry my stand on my back with the chains facing down so the pack basically inserts into the empty space between the upper stand rails. I do not use a bulky padded seat and backrest so the pack fits into that space. I have a bungee cord with caribiners on each end. I hook the middle of the bungee through the loop at the top of the pack then cross the ends down across the pack in an X and snap the caribiners to the bottom corners of the stand chain pins. The pack doesn't flop around and is dead quiet. It takes less than a second to unhook the pack from the stand when I get to my spot. Sorry, no pictures but I've described it the best I can.

V

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I use a Cabela's Whitetail Extreme Fanny pack. Either strap it fast to the climber, or wear it in the front of my waist. I only take what I need for the day. It holds more than enough for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts