The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a gorilla hang on stand which I had for several years, with a 20' section of climbing sticks. back in my younger days my friends and I were daredevils and werent scared of anything. We used to climb up our sticks and screw in steps above that yet. Now Iam not so comfortable even going up the climbing stick! Maybe because I never wore a harness, and hearing true stories of people getting hurt or killed in stands. What tree stand do you use and why? I never used a climber so I have no expeirence with that type. I love hunting from a tree especially in archery. what do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I just purchased the Summit Viper SD over the summer. I have climbed with it over 50 times so far practicing for the big day. So far I like it. It's sturdy and I feel VERY safe as it encompasses you in the tree. I did upgrade the seat to a Hazmore Silent Seat which I suggest everyone who has a climber do.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
I have three hang ons with climbing sticks set in very good spots, but I keep the climber in the truck for those off winds or if I just feel like looking at some different scenery. The climber comes in handy after the leaves fall off the trees too, because I can get a lot higher if I need to. Make no mistake about it, though, I prefer the hang ons because getting in and out is quieter and easier on my old bones!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I use both- hang ons for morning hunts- with a lifeline for safety, and the climber for afternoon and all day hunts, with a good harness for climbing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Depends where and how you hunt, You could get several hang on set-ups for price of good climber. Where I hunt the hang ons are the way to go. Life lines and vest are the only thing that works with all the stand locations though.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Hang on stands are great if you can trust letting them set up, which unfortunately isn't the case for most of us. I use them extensively on out of state hunts but very seldom here around home. I have a pair of Lone Wolf climbers that I use for most of our archery seasons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies fellows, I love the hang on stands and I only leave them out for archery season only, after that it comes down, For extra protection I use a wrachet strap and fasten that to the stand as well, Iam not to keen on just the pull strap that came with mine. Yes getting to your spot and going in the tree is nice instead of climbing and making noise, but climbers do have there advantage. I did look @ the summit viper sd that is a nice stand. I like this lone wolf stand, and how you can attach your climbing sticks to it as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsoYKtWmUo

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I'm moving to the Milennium this year. Put the hanging brackets up and then you can have multiple sets with just one stand.

·
Super Moderator
12,639 Posts
You do not have to make noise while using a good climbing stand and you don't not have to feel unsafe. Buy a good stand use the proper safety equipment correctly.

Long before the season go to a good practice tree run through the routine of being quite and climbing safely/properly. You do not have to go high until you are totally comfortable. Take a friend who is experienced in climbing if possible, if not take some one who is capable of helping you should you need help.

After you have the procedure down pat...practice it a few times in the dark. It should be second nature before the first day and you will be a pro by seasons end.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I use both a climber and hang-on/sticks. My climber is a Lone Wolf handclimber and my hang-on/sticks are also Lone Wolf; Assault and 4 Lone Wolf sticks. I use both depending on the trees in the spot I want to hunt. I "hang and hunt" with the hang-on and take it out each night since i mostly hunt public land. It's not bad once you get a system down. I always wear a harness and use both my tree strap and linemans belt when hanging the sticks and stand. I also slide the tree strap up the tree when using my climber. My safety is worth the few extra seconds it takes.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I have a summit goliath, and I will never own another stand. Solid, and sticks to the tree. I even use it to trim limbs around the house.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Love my API climbing stand. I prefer to be mobile as sometimes I cross spots that blow up w/ sign and I want to hunt them right then and there w/o having to move stuff. I hunt all public ground typically so I'm not comfortable w/ leaving stands in the woods either. Too many bad stories of thieves for me

·
Registered
393 Posts
whitetail07 said:
I currently have a gorilla hang on stand which I had for several years, with a 20' section of climbing sticks. back in my younger days my friends and I were daredevils and werent scared of anything. We used to climb up our sticks and screw in steps above that yet. Now Iam not so comfortable even going up the climbing stick! Maybe because I never wore a harness, and hearing true stories of people getting hurt or killed in stands. What tree stand do you use and why? I never used a climber so I have no expeirence with that type. I love hunting from a tree especially in archery. what do you guys prefer?
I used to do the same thing. I (still have) a Loc On Lem that I had on my back. I'd climb the tree and insert screw-ins one at a a time one handed while hugging the tree, then somehow get the stand off my back and strap it to the tree, and manage to get up in it.

Fortunately, I never fell, and I guess I got pretty good at it. That was in the '80s.

Now I hunt with a Summit Goliath climber. If, on a rare occasion I use my sticks with a hang on stand, I use my linesman's rope and harness when setting up the sticks. I just don't feel as safe in a hang on as I used to.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hang on stands are nice if you have them set up. You don't have to carry that climber into the woods with you. And if you do get a deer, you don't have to make a return trip to get the deer or the climber depending on which you choose to take out first. I used climbers a lot when I was younger and still do on occasion. However, I find it more worth it to hang a stand in a well scouted location and walk in with only bow and pack these days. Perhaps I'm getting lazy in my middle years.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I never over rated tree stands. If you use one you should recognize whatever difficulties that come with them.
Which one to use? I think the age of the hunter and their weight of the hunter should have something to do with it. We're not all made equal.

And by magic, we don't automatically become fit to climb trees in the first place. It's not hunting; it's climbing trees.
And I'd use a tree stand only where it was required. Some places I would avoid it. And how many hunters using tree stands in ten acres can you have scenting up the woods. And I'd avoid using them on crowded public game lands. But that's me and you're free to choose. You're the one spending your time in the forest.
And my nearly 20 year old climbing stand never got stolen. I carried it into and out of the woods on the same day. Never left it over night. Didn't do that by magic either.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have used both and like both. I take my vipe sd when I know there are trees I can get high enough in. It's public land so I can't trim limbs. The seat in that viper is sure comfy for long sits too. I bought a lone wolf this year so I can get up in trees I can't use the climber on. I do a fair amount of walking so the weight is important to me.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
First off....get yourself a good harness and lineman's belt...

I am attached to the tree the entire time up and down... Climber or lone wolf mobile hang on...

For 8 years all I used was a summit Viper...

This season I got a lone wolf alpha II and set it up for mobile hunting...

Hangs down letter the lone wolf...expect when it comes to sitting in it...gunna try changing the seat and maybe add footrests..

My summit Viper is super comfortable... I don't condone it but I've literally slept in it many times..my personal best I slept till like 930pm one night lol...for the record I was exhausted and went to the woods to sleep..I never even pulled my bow up that hunt...

The comfort and ease of setup and climbing is awesome with the summit..but its big..heavy..VERY noisy even if you think it's quiet..

With the lone wolf setup..its smaller and lighter..(probably not much lighter with sticks piled on the stand..).

Setup is easy...5 straps has me right around 20ft high give or take...where it shines is its super quiet to setup if you take your time and you're careful...

And what I really love...if I can see it I can probably climb it and hunt it...I can hunt lower because I can get better cover but setting up with limbs around me or whatever...hunting lower is (IMO) safer and presents you with better/easier shot angles..(I'm more comfortable closer to the ground..though I have no issue going high when needed)

Pros and cons to each....

I have both now...if I know I can find a nice straight tree and/or know I'm gunna be sitting a real long time I will take the summit...most hunts I will be in the lone wolf though...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts