The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today marks the 40th anniversary of his death. What a tragic loss to the sports world. One of the finest to ever play the game. I had the pleasure of watching him play in the 60s at Forbes Field. He gave 100% effort on every play. I remember waking up New Year's day and hearing the sad news. Seems like only a few years ago. I also think that was the year the Steelers lost to the Dolphins in a playoff game on the same day.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
rem760 said:
Today marks the 40th anniversary of his death. What a tragic loss to the sports world. One of the finest to ever play the game. I had the pleasure of watching him play in the 60s at Forbes Field. He gave 100% effort on every play. I remember waking up New Year's day and hearing the sad news. Seems like only a few years ago. I also think that was the year the Steelers lost to the Dolphins in a playoff game on the same day.
I remember it as well. A very sad day for a 9 yeaar old boy. I kept hoping that the reports were wrong, and that he would be found.

You are correct on the Steelers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Same way here guys, my family was in camp in Warren Cty when we heard news...
I remember coming home and the signs in & around Pgh...including the Bayer sign at incline...
Ariba... Ariba....Adios Amigo....
"We will always remember how he rolled his head like a proud stallion when he approached the plate"!!!
Seemed like Every kid in Pgh in every baseball field, or every whiffle ball game on every street wanted to be 21...will only ever be Roberto!

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I never had the privilege of seeing him play. In a way, that's a good thing. The Nuttings would have traded him for a bag of baseballs and a third rate shortstop in India.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
eddie spaghetti said:
rem760 said:
I remember it as well. A very sad day for a 9 yeaar old boy. I kept hoping that the reports were wrong, and that he would be found.

You are correct on the Steelers.
Yeah, it was the game after the Immaculate Reception. They lost to the Dolphins in their undefeated season.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I was 11...man i heard that and started crying...man sad day in my memories just like when Badger Bob died...cried then too!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
As kids we used to take the 87 Ardmore trolley to Pittsburgh (Shadyside?) and then walk to Forbes Field where we would always sit in the right field bleachers so we could see, as Bob Prince called him, The Great Roberto. He could peg a ball from the ivy covered wall straigt to Smokey Burges and that thing was like a rocket. And that Basket-Catch he had, wow!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts