2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the consensus of yacktrax?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Samuel said:
Had a pair but wasn't happy with their overall performance nor durability. Got a pair of Stabilicers & they are the best cleats ive ever owned! These babies will keep ya from fallin in about any conditions. Plus when drilling holes on slick ice they really grip to give you leverage with your auger! As a side... the Mrs can even wear them at the beach!! lol

Stabilicers
Heavy-Duty Ice Cleats

Walk with confidence on ice or snow with Stabilicers heavy-duty ice cleats. The innovative design helps to develop reliable traction on many surfaces, whether your fishing a frozen lake, shoveling the drive, or on an icy hiking trail. These can even be used for stream fishing on slippery moss covered rocks! STABILicers make a great alternative to felt soles - easily attach to waders.

They feature long lasting Vibram soles, with case-hardened steel cleats, to bite into the slickest ice and snow. Simply attach Stabilicers to your favorite shoes or boots quickly and easily with Velcro closure fasteners and never let icy conditions slow you down again.

Other features of the Stabilicers are below:
•Flexible Vibram sole provides comfort and traction
•34 Case-hardened cleats bite into ice and snow
•Replaceable cleats save money
•Velcro closure straps fit snugly with easy on/off design
•Made in the U.S.A.
With more traction than older style grippers or spikes, and longer lasting than grit boots, Stabilicers are your answer for winter mobility.

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
Speaking from someone who ice fishes non stop, I take hex cap sheet metal screws and screw them into the lugs of my boots. I believe the size I use is 3/32.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
Speaking from someone who ice fishes non stop, I take hex cap sheet metal screws and screw them into the lugs of my boots. I believe the size I use is 3/32.
Not in my $300 Danners!! lol

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
I understand people not wanting to ruin their boots, and by placing screws in the bottoms, it does limit that pair of boots for one use.

However, I have a pair of pac boots that I use only for ice fishing, and the screws in the bottoms are the best traction aid I have found. Most of the slip on devices will not fit over the pack boots.

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually that is not a bad idea. I agree I would not do it to high end boots but a pair of older pack boots could be a sacraficial boot.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Samuel said:
Those are what I use. I don't like how they get caked up with snow/ice. These are probably more geared towards a "commuter", and not hardcore outdoor folks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have put ice racing screws in my "high dollar" wader boots for years. They work great and very cheap. The ice racing screws (for dirt bikes) are sold in boxes of 250 for about $30. Last a long time and I use 5/8" long screws. Just look at the soles to determine how long the screws can be.........

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
I used yacktracks for a couple years, they always seemed to come off and finally last year I lost one for good. They worked fine otherwise and the price was right. In hindsight I think it would've been best to keep them off til you got on the slippery ice and not for bushing around on and off the shore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts