The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in the service, all we ever used to clean our rifles was Break Free. The BF CLP is just that; a cleaner, a lubricant, and a protectant. Anybody use this as their cleaning "solution"? It's just that it worked so well then, why the heck am I buying all the other stuff?

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
WildBill said:
nozzlehead said:
why the heck am I buying all the other stuff?
I dunno, why are ya?

Its all I've used for years.

Bill
Great stuff. I'm down to my last quart and I don't have access to it any longer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
nozzlehead said:
When I was in the service, all we ever used to clean our rifles was Break Free. The BF CLP is just that; a cleaner, a lubricant, and a protectant. Anybody use this as their cleaning "solution"? It's just that it worked so well then, why the heck am I buying all the other stuff?
Any places to buy it??? I've tried all kinds of cleaners etc.......I'd like one to do it all.......

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I love it and buy it by the quart. But I use Hoppes #7 first to get the copper out.

On hunting trips all I take is CLP and a snake bore.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
winchesterbob said:
I use a lot of it often in conjunction with J-B....stuff works...
J-B

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wondering a little off the topic though. How do you start your cleaning process? Cleaning rag then brush then clean rag etc?? I seem to "over-clean" at least IMO but I always feel it's not clean enough and no it's not OCD.........a little input would be nice.....thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sdw...My local Gander Mtn sells it. If ya got one near you check them out. Auto part stores used to sell it. Haven't looked for it in a long time so I don't know who all is selling it these days. Just happened to see it the other day at Gander & made me wonder.

Also you asked about cleaning; for every caliber I clean, I have 2 mops for it. One is a nice clean "oil when finished mop". The other is used to presoak the barrel. I'll spray it, or dip it in solvent and swab the barrel before I start scrubbing it. It works real nice.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harry...as stated this is all we used in the service shooting 5.56 full metal jacket. You don't think BF will clean the copper?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I run two wet patches through first, then a patch wrapped around a slightly undersize brush, impregnated with J-B, one stroke for every shot fired since last cleaning, then two or three wet patches, followed by clean patches until the clean patches come out relatively white. One more BF wet patch followed by a dry patch, remove any solvents from the chamber then store the cleaned rifles, muzzle down....

I short stroke the J-B patched brush through each time....I never pull a patch back through the barrel....with levers or pumps I have the rifle upside down and extract the patch from the breech before pulling the rod back through....with a bolt the patch falls off the jag before the rod is pulled back through the barrel.....

A properly-fitting rod guide is a must in a bolt action or single shot to keep solvents out of the action area and off the stock....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK gang, what is J-B? Maybe I've heard of it put can't place it. IDK. Someone shed a little light please.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
J-B, named thus for its developer, Jim Brobst, has been around for years. It is a bore paste and acts as an ulta-fine abrasive in removing metal fouling....while many would say it is overshadowed by today's 'miracle' chemicals, it works for me....it is a bit messy to use but a combination of Break-Free and J-B doesn't require rubber gloves and face masks to avoid some of the other noxious chemicals present in solvents which are laden with ammonia, etc....

Ferris Pindell, the person largely responsible for Sierra's accurate bullets, Dr. Palmisano, the co-developer of the PPC (along with Pindell) and Tony Boyer, the winningest BR shooter around, all have sworn by the J-B compound....along with countless other BR people....

I'm sure a Google would turn up more specific info about J-B....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like a great product. I just started using Kroil/Shooters choice half-half...how does this stuff compare?

·
Registered
953 Posts
JB & kroil is what I use, I don't think Tony Boyer uses break free they say it has teflon in it. Howard Wolfe told me years ago that he wouldn't use break free but the guy that set the world record at williamsport used break free and sweets go figure. I think for the hunter butches, hoppes or shooterschoice with a bronze brush is the way to go, the competitive shooters usually have there own cleaning method.
Drags

1 - 20 of 29 Posts