The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fortunate enough to bag a six pointer on Monday (story to follow when I'm done hunting) and I had the rack cut off. My question is what is the best method to clean the small amount of hair and gunk from the small part of the skull that's still attached? If it matters I will be taking the rack and small part of the skull and attaching it to a plaque with a screw or two. Is taking the skull and antlers and placing them in an old pot and setting it on my deep fryer outside a good idea? If so how long? Let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I scalp it before cutting off the skull cap. Then I clean it as much as possible removing little "bits". Then I boil it for an hour or 2 and the rest will just peel off.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
remove the rest of the hide with a sharp knife ,clean any remainimg bits of flesh,skin ect while appling borax- the borax will provide the extra grip & dryness to pull off any remaining flesh after compleating above apply a good coating of borax to speed drying--- bout 2 weeks mount as desired

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't let it sit outside it will get brittle, pale and weathered. Plus a groundhog or some other critter could easily come along and take it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts