The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean them? After several years of not finding any I came across a few good oaks. I got about 25lbs worth off of two trees yesterday. I was taught year ago to cut them up and boil them off with salt two times. Any other methods used?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Theres really nothing to them at all , i usually cut the botton stems like cutting bread and just peel off the leafs as big as you want them . Just got done cleaning 3 ramsheads this morning and left 9 other ones that need some time to grow. Its a real good year for ramsheads this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Live For Today As Tomorrow Is Promised To No One "

·
Registered
731 Posts
3shotjoe said:
How do you clean them? After several years of not finding any I came across a few good oaks. I got about 25lbs worth off of two trees yesterday. I was taught year ago to cut them up and boil them off with salt two times. Any other methods used?

I was out myself yesterday and found about 30lbs or so. All I have ever done is clean and seperate the mushroom removing all the yellow/brown spots (IF ANY) and scrub with a brush or remove any dirt with a knife. After I get them all seperated I boil them in a big stock pot with water and about 3/4 cup white distilled vinegar. Place in freezer bags and freeze... My favorite way to prepare them is to put a big round steak in a glass baking pan (or metal) fresh garlic, onions a stick of butter and smother that with the sheepheads. Cook at 400 for about 4 hours and when it's done you can't tell the difference between the steak and the mushrooms! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts