The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to find some mat. and buy it by the yard instead of the bag for cleaning any ideas? What about the compressed thickness.(don't want em too tight) I have a 50 cal Hawkens. I think the patches I bought were made of flannel.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
If it cleaning patches you are looking for I just cut up an old t-shirt. If you want a patch to use with roundballs you might be able to go to a sewing store and they might hae pillow ticking for sale by the yard. As much as I hate say it, but walmart might have it. Make sure it is 100% cotton

·
Registered
12,383 Posts
If you only go through a hundred or so patches a year, fine. if you go through several hundred a year, you may want to see about a bulk order. Part of the problem, is that if you look, you can sometimes buy MILSURP or other bulk cleaning patches for about the same price as buying material and cutting it yourself.

Most cotton flannel is ok for cleaning. Every once in a while, Numrich (Gun Parts) or one of the others offers a deal on cleaning patches, I bought two large cases of mil surp 30 cal cotton flannel cleaning patches about 20 years ago They are 2 in squares. Im down to the last several hundred. I think there were 5,000 in a case. Check around with some of the web sites, like Gun Parts, etc.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
If your patch is too tight with what you use try a 45cal jag instead of a 50 cal.Stick with all cotton.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check out this site rmcoxyoke.com
they make oxyoke patches and other great muzzleloader suppiles and you can buy the patch material in bulk.
I just ordered about $100 worth of stuff today

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, looking into it further it does seem to make sense buying in bulk. What got me thinking about this is I've been trying to find the right patch,lube combination and have been just burnin the cleaning patches up.To give each ball and different patch/lube ratio a fair shake I've been cleaning between each shot.But I can see once I find that magic match things will settle down w/ the use of cleaning patches. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
12,383 Posts
I have seen the ads for bulk patches over the years in Shotgun news. Brownells and a few others sell what they call bulk patches but some of them run 3 or 4 cents a piece, plus shipping. That isn't a bargain.

Years ago when there were more sewing factories around, rolls of cotton flannel material were available cheap. the material came in in 50 yard rolls and they cut about two inches off each end of the roll. When I first started, my Dad had been given some rolls of cotton flannel ends. He was using them to tie up his tomatoes. A roll or two disappeared mysteriously.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zimmerstutzen said:
When I first started, my Dad had been given some rolls of cotton flannel ends. He was using them to tie up his tomatoes. A roll or two disappeared mysteriously.
I wonder where they went?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
At some yard sales you can get shopping bags full of shirts/t-shirts (usually the last day when they are getting rid of everything), just make sure they are 100% cotton as they work the best. Takes a little cutting, a few larger pieces come in hand around the work bench.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I usually dig out an old pair of my white cotton work socks and cut with scissors into sizes that fit in my cleaning jag.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
One worn out pair of dockers makes a zip loc bag full of cleaning patches in about 30 min. w/ a good pair of sissors...I'm on my third year from one pair.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Big Redneck said:
At some yard sales you can get shopping bags full of shirts/t-shirts (usually the last day when they are getting rid of everything), just make sure they are 100% cotton as they work the best. Takes a little cutting, a few larger pieces come in hand around the work bench.
Same here. I just cut up old shrts for cleaning. As far as shooting patches, we had a fabric mill that went out of business a few years ago. I bought all the pillow ticking they had at about $.20 a square yard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts