The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
It may be easier to dress them warm. Especially squirrels. I usually wait till I get in from the hunt tho. Once you removed the skin or feathers what would you wrap the meat in? Plus I would not leave the carcasses in the woods or field for someones dog to get ahold of. I just find it easier to take care of everything after the hunt. Ive never had game go bad if that is your concern.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We've always cleaned game in the woods. I keep empty bread bags in my game pouch. After cleaning I put the carcass in the bread bag. When I get home all I have to do is a little touch up in the sink and I'm done. This works great for me because I hate cleaning game when I get home I'm usually too tired.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
whitehead said:
We've always cleaned game in the woods. I keep empty bread bags in my game pouch. After cleaning I put the carcass in the bread bag. When I get home all I have to do is a little touch up in the sink and I'm done. This works great for me because I hate cleaning game when I get home I'm usually too tired.
This for me too. Carry a couple ziplocks. Don't feel like it at the end of the day. Except for game birds that I just filet the breast out, so it doesn't take long, but sometimes I will do that in the woods also. The order upon getting home is dog first, game 2nd (if I've been lucky), me last.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I think it'd be worse for keeping the meat fresh to seal it up in a plastic bag. Anybody use cheese cloth? If I was going to clean if warm in the field that's what I'd probably use.

Speaking of dogs and leftover carcasses, I'd like to thank those slobs out there near me that dump their carcasses to rot at the gates of the water authority land. Lots of fun trying to get my young drahthaar to leave them alone. Jerks.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
i'm a bit too lazy to go thru the manual atm.
but I read it every year.
but i'm under the impression that you cannot clean small game in the field.
I remember something about field dressing is ok but the animal/bird should remain whole.
I also believe I remember mention of a specific exemption that allows you to breast doves in the field.

if so , does that rule end at the truck?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I always clean them in the field. It is definitely easier to do when they are warm. After I shoot one, I clean it right there and put the meat in a plastic bag. I think the few minutes it takes to dress one gives the woods some time to settle down from the shot too.

It is kind of funny because I had intended to ask this exact question when I sat down at the computer.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I clean everything in the woods. Brought home a grouse once that was full of ticks. My son got bit by one while watching me clean it and got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from it.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Always clean at home.Have a small butcher station with sink setup in the basement.Fur and feathers go in a bag for garbage.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I clean rabbits in the field with game shears and hang the fur and guts in a tree. It takes a couple of minuets and then into a ziplock bag. When I get home I fill the bag with cold water to soak then drain the water and put it in the freezer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts