The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you clean your flintlocks? After every use? How long will you keep them loaded for? If you clean them in between uses do you put a rust preventative in the barrel? and if so do you swap it out befor you shoot it again? Thanks Rod

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I clean mine after every use, even if it's only one shot. I don't leave mine loaded after a day of hunting, I discharge and clean when I get home. After cleaning I give it a good swab of mink oil.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would say it depends on how much you shoot it. Bore butter down the barrel in the off season. Clean it out with TC solvent before you take it out. Wipe it down after every hunt. They rust quick if neglected. Keeping it loaded can result in problems, especially if children have access to the gun and then theres forgetting and putting a double load in it. Other than that youre good to go.

·
Banned
462 Posts
huntRodG said:
How often do you clean your flintlocks? After every use? I do I use a foaming bore cleaner and let that soak for an hour or two then wire brush the bore and dump out all the crud. After that I soak it in the tub for another hour or two with some dawn dish soap. Then wire brush, rinse, and run patches through til clear. After that I wipe it down with gun oil with weatherguard and bore butter the bore...then it hangs down by the woodstove for the night to "season" and get rid of extra lube or moisture. How long will you keep them loaded for? I keep mine loaded til I shoot something with it, need to make a long trip to hunt, or end of the season. Most of the time I hunt around my house or a family members house, so I take it inside hang it upside down in dry place until the next day I hunt. If I go somewhere to hunt I unload and reload when I get there. This is why I LOVE the Traditions PA Pellet and its breach feature, great idea for a flintlock...you could get it so clean and unload so easy, I will likely make the PA pellet my next muzzy purchase If you clean them in between uses do you put a rust preventative in the barrel? and if so do you swap it out befor you shoot it again? Bore butter and nope I let it "season" by woodstove over night then put more bore butter on the bullet before loading it. Thanks Rod

·
Registered
154 Posts
I clean my rifle usually the same day as shooting it however I live in a very dry climate and have gone as long as 2 days without cleaning with no problems.

I use hot water, boiling actually, to clean the barrel. Then I follow up with WD 40 to pick up any trace of residual moisture. After I use regular gun oil for storage and I store with the muzzle down to prevent oil from congealing around the inside of the breach or touch hole.

Before shooting, after storage, I run a patch down the bore to get rid of any oil. I use Crisco for patch lube.

I don't leave the gun loaded at home. If I were to leave a charge in the barrel I would pop out the wedge and remove the barrel. Real black powder won't corrode steel unless there is moisture present.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
I clean mine if I shoot more then one shot if not I leave it go until after the season I have left a charge down the barrel for a year and shot just fine. I always wipe it down with oil after each use though.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I have left mine loaded the entire year and had no problems. It probably has a lot to do with how much moisture there is where you store it. JMO

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
During the season it gets cleaned only under two situations.
1)Gun gets fired at deer.
2)Damp day.
Cleaned with soapy water and warm water rinse.Dried with a hair drier.No oils inside till after season.After season oiled up inside and out with Olive Oil.NO petrolium based products go on any of my guns.

·
Banned
2,327 Posts
410-er said:
During the season it gets cleaned only under two situations.
1)Gun gets fired at deer.
2)Damp day.
Cleaned with soapy water and warm water rinse.Dried with a hair drier.No oils inside till after season.After season oiled up inside and out with Olive Oil.NO petrolium based products go on any of my guns.
I oil the inside of my barrel all the time and it goes off everytime the pan powder is lit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Clean mine at the end of the day every day it had been fired. Only use hot water and dish soap. Use bore butter after every cleaning. I have let it load for a full season with no problems but I will leave it locked in my truck and not take it in and out of a warm house, may cause condensation in the bore. That's what I do but as you can see there is more than one way to take care of your ML.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I clean my flintlock after every time I shoot it. If I'm going to be hunting again within a couple days or so then I leave it loaded. Otherwise I shoot it off and clean it. I do put a rust preventative down the barrel when I'm done cleaning, but it's not a bad idea to wipe it out before you shoot next. Don't want the oil contaminating your powder charge.

·
Registered
56 Posts
this is just how I clean my m-l.
I get a 5 gallon bucket put about 3 inches of hot water in it with 1/3 cup of murphy oil soap in with the water.
take the gun apart put the barrel in the water with the flash hole in the water. Put a few patches in the water.
I then put one of the wet patches on the top of the barrel and push it down the barrel with a knob. As i push it down you will see air in the water as the rod is pushed down, as i pull the rod up it [censored] the water up the barrel as i push it down it pushes the water out the flash hole. i go back and fort till clean. i then wash the rest of the parts in the water with a brush. u can also wash the dirty parts of the stock with the water also. i clean it all off with hot water and dry. i oil up the parts and inside of the barrel. If im going to load it i wipe the parts that need wiping off with 91% alcohol, take the barrel off and hold my finger over the flash hole and pore alcohol in the barrel put my finger over the bore and tip the barrel back and fort. i do this several times. let alcohol come out of the flash hole also. dry and load.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I clean it if I shoot it...............I use rubbing alcohol for all my cleaning.

Dave

·
Banned
900 Posts
I load it and hunt. If it rains, blow out with air compressor, swab TC13, a few dry patches and follow with wonderlube patch. Make sure it's completely dry and then wipe the rest of it down with wonderlube. If I don't get shootin it stays loaded, stored in garage where its cold to prevent the condensation issues. It stays loaded until right before I begin to field dress the deer or when I put one in a stump on the last day of the season!

Only had one issue last year when I loaded it the first day of bear season and took a shot on the first day of Flinter season. (hunted all deer rifle season too) It went off with a very slight delay. Enough I noticed but less than the rifles my hunting buddies use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts