The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the in-line (T/C Triumph) on the range yesterday for some pre-season practice. I clean my removable breech plug by soaking it in some hot soapy water in a small plastic container. I rinse the plug with very hot water & the heat buildup from the water dries the plug.

I like to hear how other folks clean their removable breech plugs…there is always a better way. Thxs. FT

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
things I did.

Every day I fired the muzzleloader, it was part of my practice to clean the whole TC Hawken every time, that day.

Used homemade moosemilk (water soluable oil, dish soap and water). When cleaned I put a slight amount of WD 40 on the metal parts of the rifle.

I found that PA cold moisture clogged up the breech plug while hunting. I carried and had attached to the possibles bag and pants, some safety pins. Sometimes I would keep the pan powder and punch open the breech plug opening. Sometimes I would change the pan powder during hunting. Better safe than sorry. Don't know how blackpowder or other powder affects inline firings.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am questioning my method because I believe that most of the fouling is due to the 209 primer ignition & I am not sure if the soapy water will clean this residue. My manual does not help other than saying to scrub the outside of the breech plug.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Freytown said:
I had the in-line (T/C Triumph) on the range yesterday for some pre-season practice. I clean my removable breech plug by soaking it in some hot soapy water in a small plastic container. I rinse the plug with very hot water & the heat buildup from the water dries the plug.

I like to hear how other folks clean their removable breech plugs…there is always a better way. Thxs. FT
i do the same as you. plus, i will do a final wipe down/soak with rubbing alcohol to remove any oil residue left from the soap and my fingers.

*a side note (for flintlock)...rubbing alcohol is also good for cleaning off your frizm while hunting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you go over to E-bay you can buy brushes to clean the inside of the breech plug. They are cheap and work real well. Then I use a smoking pipe cleaner to apply oil to the inside for storage.

On the outside I use Butch's. It will cut any crud. I also use a tooth brush type brush to clean the threads. This also gets it spotless. then I always use an anti-seize when I put it back in the rifle, and apply it with a tooth pick. Tom.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i thought moose milk was 1/3 cup murphys soap 1/3 cup rubbing alcohol 1/3 cup hydrogen peroxide. store it in a dark container because light will cause it to break down

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HOGGHEAD said:
If you go over to E-bay you can buy brushes to clean the inside of the breech plug. They are cheap and work real well. Then I use a smoking pipe cleaner to apply oil to the inside for storage.
Pipe cleaners...that there is a great tip, thxs.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
the pipe cleaners wont remove the carbon build up. Its take an actual drill bit, spun by your fingers to cut the carbon out. TC/Knight use 1/8" and CVA/traditions use a #32 drill bit.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a T/C Triumph and have two breech plugs...I bought a spare. With my original plug I needed a 7/64" drill bit and the replacement breech plug took a 1/8" drill bit as FG stated.

I had previously clean both by soacking in hot soapy water but when I <u>lightly</u> spun the drill bit, more crud was loosened and fell out. The hot soapy water alone doesn't remove the 209 primer residue.

The drill bits work great. Thxs again FG.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am not going to start any argument about drill bits. But there is no way I am putting a drill bit into my breech plug. Just not gonna do it. Not when they make a nylon brush that specifically fits inside the breech plug. I do not put any brushes what so ever in my barrel. But I will use a brush on the breech plug. And no way I am putting a drill bit that can cut. Buy a couple of the breech plug brushes, they work every bit as well with a good solvent, and present no bad points.

Now I know you guys can argue that you are careful with your drill bit. And you know exactly what you are doing. And all that may very well be true. But remember you are posting to lots and lots of readers. Heck some guy who didn't know better might even "chuck up" that drill bit. Just an opinion. Tom.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
lol brushes dont get the carbon build up out. You simply use the drill bit with your FINGERS. Seriously, if you can cut any metal out of your breech plug by using finger powder, you REALLY have a weak breech plug that is most likely unsafe.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have never seen build up-carbon or otherwise that butch's and a brush would not get out. But for that nasty carbon I use Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter(revolver cylinders). And it works great. so I disagree with you that brushes will not remove the carbon if used with proper solvents. Tom.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tom, I have used the brushes (from T/C) for the breech plug but never with a solvent. All I can say is that the hot/soapy water & the brush did not remove the 209 primer residue. With the drill bit it was very quickly removed.

I compare the primer carbon crud to that of a de-caped center fire cartridge. All re-loaders know that this carbon is removed with a metal tool.

Using the drill bit with “finger power” is not going to hurt a hardened breech plug. Now putting the bit in a drill was not what was intended…common sense I think.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
If you think the carbon is bad from t7 or pyrodex. Blackhorn209 is darned near like metal!

On the range, its a great idea to run the drill bit to keep the flash channel clear and pressures even. I run it about every 3 shots in my rifles.

Glad it worked out for you! Its been doing awesome for the past year for me and my groups have never been this good!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Freytown said:
Now putting the bit in a drill was not what was intended…common sense I think.
Guys please understand that I am not saying you are wrong. And I imagine you guys are pretty experienced at what you do. But the above comment about "common sense", that was funny. but I guarantee you somebody would try it. Not experienced guys like you, but beginners who do not know any better.

I can hear a begiinner now. Well he said use a drill bit!! So I put one down my barrel?? Laugh at me-go ahead because I am laughing at it myself. But I bet somebody(idiot) would do it.
Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Guys I was just reading a post on the S&W forum. The post was about cleaning lead out of a revolver barrel. Three guys recommended chucking up a brush in a drill and using it in the bore. And several more condoned the use of pure mercury to clean out the lead.

So what were you saying about "common sense"??
Tom.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I have used the drill bit for about 6 years now. I had used a variety of other things less aggressive. The saturday prior to deer season while at camp, the gun refused to fire. The primer would go off but not ingite the charge. I removed the breech plug and found that a very tiny piece of "I have no clue" was totally pluging the hole. I had cleaned the gun prior to shooting that day and it was not from a build up over time. No idea what it was and used torch tip cleaners to get it out. After that I made sure with the drill bit that nothing could build up and break loose in the future. No idea what it was or where it came from but ain't taken no chances either!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts