The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on first cleaning of new gun ? i have heard hot soapy water ,windex , cold water and a few others suggestions . Also does anyone clean their barrels when shooting in between shots and if so what do you use ? it seems to me that if you have your gun shot in like this then you would also have to do this while hunting if you fire it off at something.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
a new gun i clean it with hot soapy water i use windex after i shoot it ill clean it with windex the oil it down with olive oil but i do use hot soapy water every 5 or 6 inbetween cleaning

·
Registered
185 Posts
Cleaning a new gun, as in right out of the box, scrub the barrel with alcohol or something similar. You do not want any petroleum products where burnt black powder is going to be.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've used disk brake cleaner to take all the oil and grease out of the barrel.You can wipe the barrel between shots with alcohol and also wipe the frizzen with it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Any "new to me" muzzy gets a barrel scrub with 0000 steel wool and oil.
A brand new muzzy is going to have alot of grease like stuff inside that needs removed before it gets shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought my first flintlock a few weeks ago. I heard brake cleaner works great but didnt have any available so I wound up using Hoppes 9 gun solvent on a patch that I wrapped around my 50 cal bore brush... Ran it through twice, ran through 3 dry patches until they came out clean and dry then put a a little oil on a patch and ran it through. Ran a dry patch through it yesterday to clean whatever oil was left in it out before I shot it for first time and it shot great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts