The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i shoot real black powder and typically patch n ball..i swab with patches with 91% rubbing alcohol..if i swab at all..

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to work up a load for a hawkins, I just picked up. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of useing powerbelts.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Mathews Shooter said:
I'm going to work up a load for a hawkins, I just picked up. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of useing powerbelts.
.490 ball - .015/.018 patch - 80 gr FF or 70 gr FFF
91% alcohol patch after each shot

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I use Goex 3F for all my muzzleloaders and I shoot round ball with a spit patch. I can usually get about 25 shots before I will run a patch down the barrel and then I use a mixture of dish detergent and water.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Take a small bottle of water along.
1 wet patch followed by 2 dry every 3rd shot.
My shots at deer are with a clean barrel and I want to duplicate that.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The only time I shoot my MZ's off the bench at the range is when I am sighting my rifle in. Or when I am checking my zero.

I do my practice elsewhere.

When at the range I am only concerned on what my rifle does from a cold and clean bore. So I might be a bit different than other guys. But I completely clean the inside of my barrel between every shot. As I said I am only concerned where the cold clean shot hits. I really do not care where the rifle hits with a dirty bore. Or even a swabbed bore. But that is just me.

When I just shoot for practice. I spit patch then two dry patches between each shot. I can shoot pretty much all day, and as many shots as I want to. Sometimes it may take a second wet patch. Or a couple of extra dry patches. Tom.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
When at the range, I use patches saturated with Hoppes #9 Plus Black Powder Solvent and Lube to shoot with. I use that, and then run a lubed patch followed by a couple dry ones every 5-6 shots. No problems.

·
Banned
774 Posts
I don't clean between shots ever and I'll shoot 20+ shots. And I shoot roundball with 90 grains of ff GOEX. If you clean between shots just because your "supposed to" your wasting supplies and money

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
When on the range I like to have the barrel in the same condition as it would be when I am hunting, nice and clean.

When I punched a lot of paper I always ran a moose milk patch then a dry patch between shots, helped keep the groups nice and tight.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I normally bring a jug of water with me. I drink most and some goes to the swabing patches. I only swab at the range every 5 shoots or so. I use real BP and I like to shoot Swiss powder.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Big Redneck said:
When on the range I like to have the barrel in the same condition as it would be when I am hunting, nice and clean.
And THAT is the biggest reason to keep a reasonably clean barrel at the range. I can shoot adequate groups with a dirty barrel, but when I'm trying to see what the rifle can do, the shot has to be the same, every time.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
At the range I run a patch with TC #13 every other shot or so. I found my gun shoots the same clean or dirty. The biggest help I found was cleaning the lock aften.

I used to go 8-10 shots between cleaning as it was shooting fine, but after awhile it got so dirty it would misfire. Then it was a pain to get clean enough to keep shooting.

·
Banned
774 Posts
brewyak said:
I normally bring a jug of water with me. I drink most and some goes to the swabing patches. I only swab at the range every 5 shoots or so. I use real BP and I like to shoot Swiss powder.
water+black powder is not a good idea...unless you want black mud (wet powder)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I picked up a tip from an elderly fellow at the range about twelves years back. He had a plactic container with a snap top lid, scissors and dry patches. He'd pull out a BABY WIPE from the container that he'd taken the wrapper off of. So, I had to ask what they were. He said they were low priced baby wipes and he said that if'n they take the sh(stuff) off'n a baby's behind, he figures they'd do the same for that stuff in a barrel. But you cut the wipe into fourths and they last longer. You need to dry patch after wiping rags get gray instead of black. They also work great on your hands after you're finished. It doesn't cost much to try. My little tip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts