The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen the thread on Cold barrel/Hot barrel and wondered if you guys ever try to see how many rounds till you gun starts to loose its ZERO.
Now i am not talking about guns that most of us can't afford,with their few thousand dollar price tags! I mean the guns we hard working ,with a family to support type deer rifles!
My guns are all shot in,then cleaned and then 1 or 2 foulers are shot. Then put into my case and not shot till it is at a deer. It works for me!

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
My barrels are oiled now.Mid Sept the ones I'm hunting with will get swabbed out,shot in,dry brushed,and hunted with.No oils till seasons end OR hunted in rainy weather.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I clean after every shooting session, up until deer season. Then I shoot to check zero and leave it all dirtied up till season is over. Except for wiping down the outside after hunting in the rain.

BTW, I think the guys with the high dollar guns might work pretty hard for their money too, just saying.

·
Super Moderator
4,913 Posts
Willyp,I have exactly one high dollar gun.I saved and did extra work to get it.I am far from rich but I had the desire and need to reach my goal.If one of my guns are fouled come deer season it will work.No doubt in my mind.I have trigger time behind them year long.I shoot,reload and shoot and repeat.They are all target/hunting guns.I always shoot a fouled barrel.Although at normal Pa hunting ranges it means squat.Clean/fouled any would kill a deer at normal range in Pa.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Except for my muzzleloaders, I have never ever had an accuracy problem with shooting from a squeaky clean rifle barrel. I have had problems with copper and burned power fouled bores and once they were cleaned they shot just fine.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I don't clean my rifle bores very often at all. After hunting the rain I do. Every few years otherwise. All of my centerfires get a rigorous break-in with a shoot/clean after each shot for the first 20 rounds, then a 3 shot/clean for the next 20 and then a 5 shot/clean for the next 20. I scrub them with copper cleaner (can't recall the brand off-hand) at each of those cleanings. The barrel gets burnished, the copper is gone and the bore doesn't pick up much more copper at all for at least another 150 rounds or so.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I use a bore snake after I'm done shooting. Other than that I'm like Jason, I'll get ambitious every few years and give everything a thorough cleaning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.