The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for you car guys. I have a 97 f150 that I only use for hunting and fishing. I only put about 3000 mi a year on it. my question is with the truck being almost 17 years old what would be the advantages/ dis advantages to putting classic tags on it. I know that it is exempt from emissions testing where I live if I put them on but I do not know what the cost of them are or if there are any restrictions to towing like antique tags. Any input or information would help. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Also, if you are only putting on 3000 miles a year, you should be exempt from emissions anyway.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
It,s 25 for antique and 15 years for a classic.You cannot just have a vehicle especially a truck and just because it is 15 years old think you can have it titled as a classic.Yes they get titled classic,antique,etc.You have to fill out forms send in your title and insurance info and send pics into the state and then they declare if your vehicle is considered a classic.They will research the question vehicle.It has to be a limited production special type of vehicle.Yes we have seen regular junk with the plates but they will get hammered.The Dodge Lil Red Express Pick up that was made in 1978-79 is a perfect example that would qualify as a classic or antique.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feed back guys. so if im getting this right other than age and condition and limited use, it could still be rejected because it is not a limited production???

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Good ole boy could correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I think there are also some restrictions on the operation of vehicles tagged with antique plates.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
You are 100% Danes.Very limited use.By their definition they mean car shows,parades going to get serviced.Goin to work,shopping,etc is a big no no.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, the paperwork says to be driven 1 day a week. it is very vague as to what it will accept. you just fill out a short form with your vehicle info and a check for $75 for an application fee and 22.50 for the new registration. it just says for a truck you can not haul cargo, no restriction on towing

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If a model is discontinied or no longer made, it can qualify as a classic, no time limit on years. I have classic plates on a vehicle and their is limitations on its use. I would have to find the policy, but I think its like 2000 miles a year, but the insurance man said he wasn't going to come to my house every year and check how many miles I put on in a year. Any minor alterations to a vehicle can disqualify it, even changing the wheels from the originals or custom paint job. The best part is, I paid $58 for lifetime registration, no yearly renewal now, my insurance went from $700 a year down to $88 and I also have better coverage under the classic insurance policy, stated value. I had a friend that was driving his classic 1 mile to work while his daily driver was in the shop, somebody turned him in and the insurance company gave him a call and reminded him of the stated usage on his policy. They also require it be kept in a locked garage, some even require a security system where the car is stored.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I insure several vehicles every year with Haggerty insurance,which is probably the premiere company for classic cars.You can't use them as daily transportation but there is no requirement to keep them in a locked garage or to have a security system.Also,how would anyone know what insurance company someone?

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
jayk1410 said:
yea, the paperwork says to be driven 1 day a week. it is very vague as to what it will accept. you just fill out a short form with your vehicle info and a check for $75 for an application fee and 22.50 for the new registration. it just says for a truck you can not haul cargo, no restriction on towing
Don,t take some of this bad info for gospel.Let them get hammered.Go directly to the source for your info.A real good notary that does alot of state work will know,check with the SP or even ask Penndot.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I got my plates about 20 years ago, the insurance man came to the house, took pics of all 4 sides of the vehicle, pics of my garage, and checked out the locks on the garage entrances. I imagine they don't want to be insuring some of these high dollar sports cars if they are not kept in secured buildings. I had an appraisal done that he attached to the policy, which they recently contacted me and asked if I thought the value needed to be raised. I have known folks who applied for the plate and were rejected the first time, due to some minor change they had made to the vehicle, made the small modifications needed, reapplied and were issued the plate.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
It sounds like, unless you have an actual classic car, it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Your right Danes.Plus the cops aren,t stupid.They know what cars suppose to have em and knowing that vehicle shouldn,t be out gettin groceries or in the mall parkin lot.These people do get busted especially when they are seen on a regular basis,and heaven forbid they get in a accident.They would be in a heap of trouble with the law and their ins.Co.for usin that license and vehicle for what it was not intended.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[color:#000000][/color]since its 4 wheel drive it is not going to do anything for the insurance until it is over 20 years old. No classic car insurance wants to insure it even though it is limited use. all I would be saving is the rate of the tags which is $81 a year. For the freedom to do whatever I want for $81 a year I dont think it is worth it. Thanks for all of your input guys!

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
I think your makin a wise descision.I know of people who have antique trucks from the 30,s-thru 50,s and they have antique plates and antique insurance and were told their never be anything in that bed but lawn chairs,picnic food,etc.I am a farmer and have to admit I was doin stuff years ago in my 1959 Ford F350 f/bed that I could have got in trouble for.It had antique plates but was on my regular policy.I,d haul produce,f/wood,fertilizer,etc.I sold it about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
On another note I have had farm trucks that had a registration excemption sticker on them that let you use them from dawn to dusk and up to 50 miles from farm to farm w/out inspection and plates.It was cheap and was good for 2 years.Insurance was cheap too.You have to show a tax form statin that farmin is your livelyhood.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts