The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Team RB might be on board with that TD!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
i am with ya tater. do you have any dates in mind? or witch canoe rental place to use? me call a few and see if we can get a group rate.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i haven't got any dates or any real plan yet. i have never been there but got alot of pms from guys who had or live in the area. i'm gonna keep looking into it. water levels will be a factor so will need to figure out best times to go.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I do this every year with my Boy Scout Troop, great time. We usually do the overnighter float. Maybe the Troop can plan it also since 3 boys are members on here and are part of Cresson Sportsman's.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess we should call a few places and find out what's avalible to us. I can't do any internet stuff at work, I'm on blackberry now. I can look into this weekend but if anyone has good knowledge or wants to look into it feel free to do so

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kool
i'm working on it

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my thoughts are

do we wanna camp or just do a one day trip. myself i'll be camping somewhere up there either way just cause its a pretty far drive after paddlin all day.

i have no idea which outfitter to go with so maybe we can ask the hpa community their thoughts or if anyone has any suggestions.

date might be dependent on water conditions and avalibility.

alot of stuff to do but the biggest thing we need is info, good thing is i'm sure we got people from around there that can help we just gotta reach out to them

maybe another thread about river trips in the area might be a good start

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i been looking around and keep seeing either loves or the pale whale as far as outfitters.

i might wanna bring my own kayak too just cause its pretty comfy and my back would be much happier in it

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
where at on the river are you talking about?
i am familar with the cooks forest area.
they have around three or four canoe rental places.

how many miles are you thinking about?

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey gun do you have a preference or any insight as to which outfitter to use. Maybe tonight I can start a thread for the general population of the forum to get more info about who to use and where to go. Or fell free to start one youself.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
CAMPING... Now your talking...

I would be interested in getting a campsite for the weekend and doing the trip as well...

Keep me posted, I will check into some campgrounds and see what I can find out if everyone would be interested...

Tom

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am gonna camp for sure no idea where yet

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that's where we are at, I never been there so all I know is what I have read on the internet. The pale whale and loves seem to be the 2 big outfitters

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Pale Whale and Cooks Forest Canoe Rental are both located right near the bridge on RT 36. Easily accessible to anyone from Clarion or Brookville.

We've canoed with both as well as hauled our own. With the kids we usually opt for the 4 mile trip which takes 1-2 hours depending on stops and water conditions. There are also 10 and 15 miles day trips available as well as 2 day overnighters.

Biggest factor in scheduling in my opinion is water conditions. Early in the year the river is high and I've actually been there when they wouldn't rent canoes due to conditions. Later in the year the water gets really low and dragging/portaging is common. I'd reccomend sometime in late May, June for the best bet at decent water conditions.

There is good fishing all the way down, I usually tote a light spnning rod and have a blast with smallmouths and trout. THer is a youth trout pond at Cooks forest near the bridge that is regularly stocked with trout for the kids?? There is also a youth fishing derby at Clear Creek state park the first weekend of May??

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How's the last week of may or first week in june sound to everyone. Don't forget the fisjing trip to shenango is weekend of june 18th

1 - 20 of 23 Posts