The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got hungry for good clam chowder yesterday so I made some. For you clam chowder lovers, here is my recipe. To start I will say the best way is to steam your own chowder clams, and chop them and use the broth to make the chowder. Chowder clams are hard to find where I live so I use canned clams, American clams and American clam juice, the foreign stuff stinks.

3, 6.5 oz cans chopped clams, Snow's or Cape Cod are both good.

3, 8 oz bottles of clam juice, Snow's or Cape Cod are good.

8 oz cold water

5 or 6, stems fresh tyme.

1/4 lb salt pork, cut into 1/4 inch dice.

1 and 1/2 stalks celery very finely chopped.

1/2 medium onion very finely chopped.

Two or three peeled potatoes cut into a 1/4 inch dice, I like a small dice, you can go larger if you like.

butter if needed

flour in the amount needed to make rue.

1/4 to 1/2 cup of heavy cream if wanted.

In a large pot brown the salt pork over medium heat till a medium to dark brown. Do not walk away because they can over brown fast and do not let them get too dark they will get bitter. When browned remove from pot with slotted spoon and put in bowl on paper towel to drain, reserve for later. Add the finely diced celery and onion and the leaves from the tyme sprigs to the pot into the lard just rendered from the salt pork over low medium heat. If there is not enough lard add butter to the pot so there is a little over a 1/4 cup of fat. Simmer the celery, onions and tyme slowly till the celery is soft and onions clear. Then add enough flour to the pot over low heat to soak up all the fat and make a thick rue. Cook the rue over low heat for about 6 minutes stirring it around often to cook out the flour taste. Then turn up the heat, wait a minute and add the three bottles of clam juice and whisk till the broth is thickened, then whisk in the 8 oz of water. When the broth is thick and simmering add the diced potatoes and a couple of grinds of fresh black pepper. Turn to simmer and slowly cook the potatoes till soft, the smaller the potato dice the faster they will cook. Do not walk away because you must stir the chowder every few minutes to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot because it will be thick. When the potatoes are done pull the pot off the heat and add the clams and stir in. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to taste. Allow the pot to cool on the stove to where the chowder is just warm if you are going to serve soon. Allow to get cold and you can refridgerate till you are ready to serve, the longer it sits the more the flavors come together. When ready to serve, stir in the heavy cream if you like, it isn't necessary but makes the chowder a bit richer, and slowly bring up to serving temprature stirring regularly to prevent sticking. If you have refridgerated the chowder, put a little milk or cream in the pot to loosen up the chowder a bit, it will loosen more when it gets hot. Serve with the browned pieces of salt pork on the side to use as crutons in the soup with your favorite oyster crackers.

Bon Appetite

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Ya...he always makes these kind of posts.......gets us all hungry.....four hours later he posts the pitures......usually of crumbs or a dirty plate or bowl.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it is all gone, but not forgotten, next time I make it I will try to remember to take pics. I get so hungry making it i can hardly wait till it cools down so I can finish it and eat it. Than recipe makes about 6 bowls, at least the soup bowls I use, so I say it serves two, with enough left for a cup each for lunch the next day..

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
John if you want to "kick it up a notch"

Do everything the same but scrub and wash some clams really good and then boil them up for some stock, remove the meat and shells and reduce the stock down. Chop up the clam meat and use in chowdah too. Trust me its a little more work, but it goes from good chowdah to awesome chowdah.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i LOVE clam chowdah... sadly though, i can't eat it anymore. the gastric bypass surgery has caused some odd intolerances for me, and for some reason clam chowder just hits the wrong chord for my guts.

Your recipe sounds dang good tho!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey anything that enhances the clam flavor has to be good, may try that sometime.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John,

WHEN are you making a big batch for all of us on here???

That is the Style Clam Chowder I like the most...BUT my Wife's Family sure does make a Good Batch of clam chowder that has no cream in it (is it the Manhattan Clam Chowder?)

I been wanting a batch of clam chowder.....going to have to talk my Father-in-law into making a batch from your recipe, seeing the wife and daughter do not like it, he and I are the only ones who will eat it....

More for me!

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
Im at the shore and its raining so its off to the Lobster House fish market I go for fresh clams, sounds like its going to be fresh clam chowder and broiled open faced cheese, fresh jersey tomatoes and bacon sandwiches for dinner before I leave.

Thanks for the recipe and dinner idea. I couldn't take another day up at Irish Weekend this year so now I have an excuse.

·
Registered
507 Posts
John, I can get you fresh chowder clams whenever you want. Just let me know. I second the scrubbing and cooking of the chowder clams for stock. Cover them with cold water, throw in some fresh thyme and shallot, and cook just until they open. The big clams are tougher than the small ones (better flavor of course) so I try not to overcook them. Oh yeah, purge them before cooking by placing in water with a sprinkle of cornmeal on top. They take in the cornmeal and purge out any sand/grit inside.

When I went to college in Rhode Island every dive bar had "stuffies" on their menu. A big fat quahog, chopped seasoned and stuffed with bread crumbs back in the shell. Then baked golden brown and served with hot sauce and lemon. They were dirt cheap and went great with a cold one

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just may take you up on the chowder clams offer Steve.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Sounds Yummy!!
Too bad you aint down in Chincoteague...coulda fixed ya up with tons of chowda sized fresh clams!! lol

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I will come down sometime and cook it up for you!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
John S said:
Maybe I will come down sometime and cook it up for you!
John...me Gentleben, GBJ & red oak do some fishin trips. i have just bookmarked you a potential chef on a future trip!!

Mebbie we can shuck some oyster together!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

1 - 18 of 18 Posts