The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know it was '79 when we, THE BURGH, were dubbed City of Champions. I pretty much never even think about who is the cat's meow, as far as city, state, or even region, when it comes to sports, so maybe it's the double Bourbon after a rugged work week that has me thinking about it now
But, as I do give it thought, there aren't very many city's that can say they have had the same experience that we've been blessed with here in Da Burgh. Well, I'm pretty much talking "modern" era anyhow. I can't speak to the time of when helmets were leather, and gloves were nothing more than what I'd call a fingerless "mitten". In MY time, which I'll call the past 50 years, I can't think of very many places that can boaast as to having as much success consistently, as we have had. That's saying something, considering we just dusted off 20 years of sub .500 baseball.
But thinking about it, we've had 2 world series, and 4 superbowls (hardee-har-har) in the 70's, some lean years in the 80's to be sure, but back on track in the 90's with 2 Stanley Cups, a couple good early years in baseball, and a superbowl appearance in the 90's. Then, the new millenium has given us 3 superbowl appearances (2 wins), and 2 Stanley cup appearances (1 win), and finally another baseball playoff team. We don't have basketball at the pro level, which WE can collectively care less about, we never will be a basketball city, but what other city can claim as much success ? I can think of one other... Boston maybe ? With the Bruins, the Red Auerbach Celtics, the Patriots of the 2000's, and of course, the Red Sox, with their recent World Series appearances after a century of futility. Am I missing another pro sports town/city that can claim as much success ? All in all, we've had it pretty darned good to be a sports fan in "The Burgh" I'd say, eh ?

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
It ain't "Titletown" but it's a great sports city for sure.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
in case yinz guys missed it, the pittsburgh passion won a couple womens football championships a couple years ago.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
San Fran? but no hockey...
Other then that, Boston plus they have basketball

·
Registered
16,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Believe Pitt won national championship
Penn state won two
Was actually only thinking pro.... but, Pitt won the national title on '76, Dorsett's Sr. and Heisman year. I believe one of PSU's was in the early 80's ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts