The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or heard any cicadas yet. Should be any day now. Ground temp needs to reach a little over 60 degrees.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Me neither. I believe you'll start to see them emerging from the ground and crawling up trees very soon.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,643 Posts
I remember the last time they surfaced, it's crazy.
I was driving home from fishing in Perry co. and was on the E/W TP and with the windows down you could hear them.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Just checked 4 spots in the yard, and my soil is reading right at 51 deg. at @4". Harrisburg, Pa.

Maybe the rain tonight (60s) and tomorrow (70s) will stimulate them. I have read that a warm rain will bring them out.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't really remember them in '04, but remember them in '87 and '70.
In '87 I got a new company truck at work. I had found one of the shells/cases and put a dab of silicone caulking on its feet. Stuck it on the hood of the truck like a hood ornament. It was there probably 3 months till the owner saw it and flipped out.
In '70 I can remember a buddy and I riding our bicycles, looking for pop bottles along the road. Remember the 2 cent deposit? Anyhow, we came along an isolated area of road where there was a tree just loaded with cicadas. It creeped us out and we soon got outta there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts