The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else notice the lack of dog day cicadas singing during the day ? They are normally going full bore by this time of the summer. I have heard them a few times early in the morning but that's it. I live in Fayette and work in Westmoreland and haven't heard them either place.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I had one in a tree in my yard last weekend, that was it. Not finding any sheds or anything.

·
Registered
18,619 Posts
Does seem to be less this year around here as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have not heard a cicada all summer. However, I am having a war with cicada killers digging holes and bringing up huge mounds of dirt in my wife's flower beds. I even got stung by one 3 days ago. Funny thing is, for a huge wast the sting wasn't that bad, not nearly as bad as the bald faced hornet stings that I got earlier this month when I was pulling a volunteer tree out of an azalea bush which had a hornet nest in it. Those things felt like I had boiling water thrown on me and hurt for over two hours.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I wonder if the cicadas fail to show this year if the cicada killer wasps will not reproduce? I'm seeing a lot of the wasps as well, but no cicadas.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Looking at this link, the big 13 and 17 year broods aren't slated to hammer most of Pa in 2020, just a sliver here and there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Last night when I walked out of my house I was taken aback at just how loud the woods were with cicadas. I don't know if I just haven't been paying close enough attention lately or if something just broke loose yesterday but it was loud enough that I started thinking about how to obtain a decibel reader. I was wondering if this head cold is getting into my brain or not, because I've never been thrown off by that sound, but it was SO LOUD.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm sitting outside during my work from home gig, and got a few different ones going off right now .... its started to pick up here in the last week or so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts