The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just learned that cicadas can destroy young fruit trees and wouldn't you know it, I just planted some there year. So here is my question for you all, what can I do to minimize the impact to my trees, since those pesky little buggers will be emerging this year?

Two options I have heard so far, is wrapping the tree with insect netting or spraying the tree, but for spraying you need to stay on top of it.

Let me know.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Cicadas don't kill whole trees unless it is a very small tee, the kill branches when they lay their eggs under the bark and that killed the limb or twig, then the limb or twig breaks and falls to the ground and the larva bury in the ground and pupate and then emerge as adults come out of the shell and start the process all over again. They like branches around the diameter of a pencil. The recommended mesh size to use when netting the canopy, you do not have to wrap the trunk, is no larger than one quarter inch. If it were me I would go for netting rather than spray because it is once and done.

Reactions: Tater86

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woods walker! The tree were just planted this year and are bare root stock (about 2 years old). Most of the branches are bigger than a pencil, but some of them are about that size. I did find some mesh that is woven very tightly and the size is about .03.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That should do it.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Last "swarm" here they killed off many branches on our blue berry bushes. I saw a few emerging last May or June. I suppose they will be bad again soon 2021 here.. I remember about 1987 they were so bad in Arlington VA and around DC, that the road in Rock Creek park was closed due to folks sliding off the road on slick "cicada slurry" because of all the bugs that were run over on the road under the trees. The May flies on the Rt 462 (Wrightsville to Columbia) bridge are not near as bad.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
One of our properties in NE Pa had a lot of cicadas and we tried the spray,not such a good process but luckily the cicadas also attracted something very scary looking but very efficient, cecada killer wasps. They scared the crap out of a groundskeeping crew but we're not aggressive but more like carpenter bees.
We considered spraying the wasps because they were big and borrow into the ground and mulch beds, but once finding out what they were left them do their thing.
They did kill off many of the cicadas and burried them into the ground, possibly as food for their larvae.

If you would like some I could ship you a couple hundred thousand, not sure how docile they would still be after a ride in a FedEx truck

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
The cicaddas did a number on my young pear and chestnut trees 2 years ago. I didn't know then that they would harm them. It really set them back about 2 years and I lost a couple of them. I would go for netting.

Bigger trees aren't too much of an issue as the damage amounts to a pruning of the tree.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
One of our properties in NE Pa had a lot of cicadas and we tried the spray,not such a good process but luckily the cicadas also attracted something very scary looking but very efficient, cecada killer wasps. They scared the crap out of a groundskeeping crew but we're not aggressive but more like carpenter bees.
We considered spraying the wasps because they were big and borrow into the ground and mulch beds, but once finding out what they were left them do their thing.
They did kill off many of the cicadas and burried them into the ground, possibly as food for their larvae.

If you would like some I could ship you a couple hundred thousand, not sure how docile they would still be after a ride in a FedEx truck
I have had a lot of Cicada killer wasps in my lawn for quite a few years. I used to kill them but I don't anymore, they are not aggressive and they do more good than harm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts