The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I didn't realize it until now, but Cicada's will damage trees especially young trees. They got all of my pear and chestnut seedlings that I put out last year. I pruned off the heavy damage and I hope they will rebound. I guess time will tell. I only pruned what was dead off, but there is still some heavy damage done below that.

Here is a link to what they do.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/tree-fruit/insects-mites/factsheets/periodical-cicada

Pics from one of the pears.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
They do a ton of damage. They cut the bark to lay their eggs.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I was at WVU last week for work..
They are plagued bad down there with them..
Thousands of them everywhere on everything..
So bad they were deafening outside..

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is some damage to some large oaks by my house. I am sure they will be fine, but you can see how widespread it is. All the discolored leaves are branch ends that are dieing. Not sure what all species, but it seems that oaks and maples got hit pretty hard along with fruit trees.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Got the oaks and maples and dogwoods pretty good here too. I remember it from 17 years ago, they caused the same damage and all the bigger trees rebounded fine. Not sure about the seedlings. It seems when they cut the bark to lay eggs, they sometimes go too far out the limb and it breaks, hangs down, but doesn't always fall all the way off. Some do, since I've picked up some maple branch ends off the driveway. They were quieter here today then they have been, may be tapering off

·
Registered
975 Posts
I know this is a little late for your pear trees but a few weeks ago right before the locusts got bad I had sprayed around my log house with Bayer termite and carpenter killer. I normaly spray around the frame of the garage door as the ants frequent this area. A few days later I noticed a bunch of dead locusts on the ground below the frames. I also started to see some damage to one of 12 persimmon trees I have so just for the heck of it sprayed all the trees with the Bayer product. Checked them yesterday and fount no damage to the other 11 trees but again found dead locusts under them. Looks like this stuff saved my trees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts